Spark plugs and shields?

Guest EDBS0

With me it was #4 PITA.<P>Ended up just taking the fool things off (Both cars). The downside danger is that you will burn the boot. Seeing as how I was using 31809.gif I thought that they could stand up to the heat and after sever thousand miles all is still fine smile.gif" border="0

I got rid of the shields also, but I used Accell's Extreme 9000 wires with silver impregnated boots. I used the Ford style with the 115 deg. boots as they stand straight up from the plug. They were a bet of a PITA as they were a universal set, but they work perfectly.

Guest wally888

I had problems w/ shields on one previously but after several tries and using leverage managed to get all seated.<BR> Am waiting on dark w/ the garage door closed to see if I can locate gap.<BR> Don't se why cutting off the little tabs would harm.

Guest wally888

I know I have replaced wires and plugs on Reatta at least two, maybe three, times.<BR> Today I replaced plugs and wires (Delco), wires are in correct place but I have a miss.<BR> # 2 cylinder plug and shield do not want to cooperate. With the shield installed and in the proper position, the plug wire end will not go the last 1/4 inch to snap in place? Without the shield it will go the last 1/4". ( the wire top end is not hitting or bottoming on the shield<BR> Am almost 100% certain my miss is #2 and continues if I leave off shield and seat the wire.<BR> I'm sure someone has had this problem?<BR> I closed garage door, wasn't pitch black but I saw no spark jump.<BR> Now I'm starting to doubt..........<BR> Facing engine from front, cyl #'s are <BR> Front row right to left 1,3,5<BR> Back row right to left 2,4,6?<p>[ 08-12-2002: Message edited by: wally888 ]

Guest wally888

Still need HELP!<BR> Saw no spark leaks in the dark.<BR> I removed the shield and reseated all 6 plugs-no change?<BR> Engine exhaust sounds as if one cylinder is misfiring, idle is a little rough and while parked at 2-4000rpm rough + an almost backfire after pedal release. ( I don't know how to explain an almost backfire)<BR> I replaced the Serpentine belt and engine ran o k afterwards.<BR> Replaced plugs and wires at the same time, then trouble started.<BR> I have wires attached according to #'s on coil pack Right to left/front row 1,3,5.<BR>Right to left/back row 2,4,6?<BR> Suggestions??

Guest wally888

Yes Harry!<BR> I switched #2 and #4-All is well.<BR> The screwup was my thinking 1-3-5 went right to left so I matched 1 w/ 2(actually 6).<BR> Surprised someone didn't catch earlier when I listed cylinders backwards.<BR> Can you develope Dyslexia in old age?<BR> I came back in to say "never mind" as I had switched after finding a picture in the FSM. Wish you'd replied last night! Thanks!