Gas gauge flicker?

Guest 50silverstreak

Guest 50silverstreak

If you had not noticed, I am full of questions and eager to pick your brains for knowledge!

After having the gas tank removed to fix a leak, the gas gauge will, at times, have a very violent flicker, or siezure, of the needle when driving or sitting still. This happens more often when there is less than half a tank of gas and it is not the standard "float" that we are all used to. It does not seem to happen when the tank is mostly full.

The gauge was working fine prior to having the gas tank removed. Can anyone offer some suggestions on what is going on and how I could fix this.

Guest Lukey

Standard rule of thumb for anything that goes wrong in an old car is "bad ground". I have to think something in the wiring got mad when you moved it all around. Just had a great three part how to on that very subject in the ETCetera (Early Times Chapter newsletter). You can probably find an old book at the library for reference. Like so many things, troubleshooting wiring is getting to be a lost art. Let us all know how this project is going for you... Lukey