air conditioning

alesco

I just converted the air condiniong on my 88 to R134, but I still find it struggling to cool off the car in 95 degree weather. It's almost okay if I drive continuously at 45mph or better, but at stop and go, it's almost to the point where I have to open the windows to keep cool. Does anyone have an idea of what else might need to be done?

Had to turn mine up to 72 yesterday because got too cold inside (on a sunny Central Florida summer day 8*). Also an 88 converted to R-134A. <P>Are several postings with details in recent past including one where I recorded outlet temperatures (AFAIR 64 degrees on HIGH fan at hot idle at long stoplight and 52-54 degrees at 60 mph. 94 degree day.)<P>Three things I know of can cause poor cooling particularly at idle:<P>1) LO engine fan not coming on - 88 has a ballast resistor, you might try jumpering to HI all the time.<P>2) hot/cold diverter rod stuck (servo is in programmer behind glove box). <P>3)Botched conversion. You only use 80% by weight as much R-134A as R-12 (too much is not cool) and proper flushing first is essential. I also use variable oriface expansion valves in my cars for improved idle capacity though some will disagree.<P>Have three vehicles converted to R-134A now - 88 Reatta, 90 Bonneville, 92 TranSport) - all 3800s and all work fine. It does take a few minutes to really cool off a hot car but temp just keeps going down.