CD and tape cassette repair?

Guest snowdrift

Guest snowdrift

I would like to have my CD repaired or I would like to purchase a working unit, also the cassette player. Any ideas?

Thank you!

Guest Squire Tom

i have fixed enough things that now i am ready to try the cassette. saw and downloaded the repair manual. i also have a problem that not all of the speakers work . what else am i going to have to repair. or is it beyond a hammer and chainsaw capability?

thanx

tom

Tom, if your speakers have never been replaced they are probably in the same shape mine were before I replaced them. Some of my old speaker's paper cones had actually disintegrated and had nothing left but the metal frame. I would plan on replacing them all if they have never been replaced.

Quick note on the speakers:

On the rears (in a 90/91) with 6x9's, be careful to get ones that have the mid/tweeter that don't protrude out to far, or the grille covers will not go back on flush. Also, look for rubber or cloth cone surrounds, do not use speakers with foam surrounds. These break down a lot quicker in the constant temperature extremes of the car's interior.

Note that a lot of coaxial/triaxial 6x9's have the mid/tweeter projected forward of the actual mounting frame, so they are not "flush mount" capable.

Also beware Best Buy's car audio assistance computer if you go there to get new speakers. It makes no distinction between 88/89 and 90/91 or between coupes & convertibles for the speaker sizes needed. Thus, it is wrong a lot of the time in what is says will fit. Speaking from experience here.

KDirk

A note on cassette deck repair: I recently repaired one that I got from Jim Finn by replacing the belt. However, last week it stopped working, and I'm already pretty sure on what broke. There's a small white plastic component inside that has a metal pin in it. These plastic pieces eventually crack and the metal pin pulls through. When this happens, if you push play it just sounds like it's fast forwarding. I would search my post called "Cassette deck" and I pointed out which piece in the picture already showed a crack in it.

Guest Squire Tom

removed the rear speakers ( gee didnt even need the chainsaw , just a lot of new skin )and hot wired to a stereo in the garage. speakers seem to work ok . must be something with the radio equalizer . finally , something to fix with the chain saw !

has anyone used an aftermarket radio that fits the hole and wiring harness ?

Guest snowdrift

Well, I got my radio/cassette player out and boxed up to send to Michigan tomorrow. I hope it can be fixed!

Tom,

I have an Alpine single DIN (standard sized) aftermarket headunit in my 91. It was a tight fit depth wise, but I made it work. Metra makes a mount kit that will fill the 1.5 din (or "DIN and a half" as some say) opening on the 90/91 Reatta. Actually they make two. Most places will sell you one that centers the new head unit vertically in the oversized factory opening. This works, but doesn't look so great IMO.

I found another Metra mount kit that wasn't listed for use in early 90's GM cars with 1.5 din openings (sorry I don't have the model number, I chucked the package long ago) that has a small storage pocket that fits a couple of CD's in slim cases under the radio opening.

This setup looked better and worked well except that I had to modify the mount kit to accept the factory side rails that hold the whole thing in the dash hosing along with the climate control head. Note that Metra also makes harness adaptor kits.

That said, there a relative few 1.5 DIN aftermarket head units currently available. The big focus now in high end stuff is double DIN, as used in most newer GM and Ford vehicles. Lots of DVD/Nav touchscreen setups well into the $2000+ price range. Way too much for me to put in a car, only to get the windows smashed and have it stolen.

Pioneer makes one or two models, but they are relics. Essentially, the same 1.5 DIN models they have offered for almost 10 years unchanged. They aren't bad units, but are a bit short on features versus more recent offerings.

I think Crutchfield still sells them, and you might find them in a real car audio shop (I.E. not "Pest Buy") locally. If you don't want to stay stock on the head unit, I would opt for a single DIN unit with good features and get a Metra mounting adaptor.

Some here consider pulling the factory radio sacrilege. I respect that viewpoint (keeping the car stock) and I do not make aesthetic "fluff" modifications to my cars like 20" spinners or wild paint jobs. The radio however is a major issue for me. I like to listen to good music on good hardware when I am driving. The factory setup even in perfect working condition simply didn't meet my expectations.

So, if your factory unit is not repairable, or you decide not to have it fixed, you do have options.

KDirk