1926 DODGE COUPE 4CYL '' CAN NOT KEEP IT RUNNING FUEL PROBLEM HE

TONY BONET

I HAVE A 1926 DODGE COUPE I BOUGHT IT AND HAD SHOP GET IT RUNNING AND IT RAN PERFECT FOR 2 DAYS NOW WILL NOT START OR STARTS AND RUNS RUFF AND SHUTS OFF IF I POOR GAS IT IT WILL START BUT SHUTS OFF .. IT HAD A FUEL PUMP THAT WAS TAKEN OUT AND VACUME WAS SET UP AGAIN ANY IDEAS I NEED HELP ITS NOW BEEN 2MONTHS.

Have you tried setting up a gravity tank?

Just a 5 gallon can with a fuel line out the bottom that connects to the Carby.

If that works you have a problem with you vac tank (Not uncommon) dont know much about then (other than <span style="text-decoration: underline">some guys</span> seem to have no end of problems with them)

What has changed from the time it was running fine until now (including seasons)?

Try he gravity ank idea by aussie610 and see if it is indeed the vacuum tank. If it still runs rough it may be the carb is gummed up from sitting or you wiring has a short (mouse?)

Tony:

If you go to the Dodge Forum your problem has been discussed several times. Your two earlier comments are very good and let me add a couple. I have five cars with vac. tanks on them and they all work well when you understand what the vac. tank does and what problems you can have with them. They are not fuel pumps and when you replace them with a fuel pump you can create problems. A vac tank is a holding tank in which fuel is drawn into the tank using the vac. from the engine. It delivers fuel by gravity to the carb. and when you replace it with a fuel pump you will usually overwhelm the needle valve and create additional problems. To test the fuel system I start with the vac. line from the intake manifold and make sure it is not plugged or leaking. There is a pipe plug in the top of the vac tank and you can fill the tank with gas and see if the engine starts and runs. If it does then your carb is ok and you can proceed with the rest of the fuel system. While the engine is running disconnect the line from the vac. tank to the fuel tank and see if you have a suction. If you do not then your problem is in the vac tank. If you have suction then your problem is with the gas tank or then line leading to the gas tank. If it used to work and all of a sudden it quite working you may have a broken spring in the vac. tank or your vent line has become clogged. Take the screws off the top of the tank and carefully remove the top. There are two counterbalance springs in the tank, make sure they are not broken and there is a vent in the tank top make sure it is open. Beyond a leaking float and a leak in the gasket I am not aware of anything else going wrong with vac. tanks.

Jan