Fuel pump "growl"

Guest re-reatta

Guest re-reatta

Hello all,

Had the Reatta out for a ride this evening and began to hear a noise that sounded like the low growl that you sometimes get when low on power steering fluid, but the noise was coming from the rear of the car. The fuel gauge was flashing low so I stopped to get some gas and the noise stopped. Anybody ever have any experience like this? Inquiring minds want to know!!

Have a great one,

Kevin

Guest dpannell

Kevin, Has the fuel pump been changed recently? There is the potential the pump has come loose from the sending unit bracket...... Only a guess without experiencing the noise.

Dave

You could have other fuel pump problems.

Recently a friend purchased a Reatta that had two problems, a non-functioning fuel gage and a very noisy fuel pump.

When we pulled the tank, we found what looked like coffee grounds...lots of them, I scooped out several hands-full of this stuff. It was plugging the filter/sock and restricting the fuel flow, causing the fuel pump to work much harder.

We fixed the problem but it returned in about 8 weeks, more coffee grounds and a noisy pump.

I believe the tank was rusting on the inside and because it was coated from the factory, the rust was comming of in small chunks, bonded together by the tank coating. We solved the problem with another gas tank.

Repairing the fuel gage is another story that I will cover in an upcoming Reatta newsletter.

Guest re-reatta

Thanks for the input. I may try letting the tank run low again to see if it does it again, and then see if filling the tank stops it again. Once again the forum members come through with helpful hints.

Kevin