How do I remove the ignition lock?

Guest jumpinjivinjoe

Guest jumpinjivinjoe

I have 1936 Dodge coupe. After 76 years of being parked, my great uncle lost the keys. What should I do? How do you remove the barrel lock? And if I need to replace it, what ignition lock would work?

i ordered ignition lock with key from www.oldmoparts.com (Andy Bernbaum)

But, you can always remove the lock. You have to take out the ignition coil from firewall and the long tube(pipe), witch goes to ignition lock. I'm not sure, but there may not be any kind of screw or anything at the dashboard.

Or according to this pic, there is smile.gif

Then, just take your ignition lock to locksmith and they will make you a new key. (you can buy new original type keys from Andy as well.)

mvc-131s.jpg

Oh, I believe that you cannot remove the lock cylinder from the tube without a key. There's a small hole on the lock cylinder base where's a small "button". When the ignition is "turned on" , you can pull the cylinder out from the base. I think the locksmith knows how to separate them as well.

Guest elmo39

where mike said there is a small hole and a button , insert a thin rod or screw driver push the button in and the barrel should seperate from the lock , then take the barrel to a locksmith if he knows his job he will be able to cut you a new key

Guest jumpinjivinjoe

no it does not. Well where is this button? Is it on the front of the lock? Do I need a key?

Guest elmo39

you can't actualy see the button , look carefully around the lock rear of the mounting bracket there should be a small hole , insert the rod and push in that will conect with the button ,hold it in and remove the barrel. if the hole is not where i suggested then try the front and rear of the lock as it was in different places on different models depending on the manufacturer of the lock.

Some locks have a button some have a hole. It will be at the back, only visible after you remove the lock.

Some have a small hole on the front of the lock.

In any case the cylinder will come out easy if the key is in the lock. Without the key, the tumblers will prevent it coming out. If you don't have the right key take it to a locksmith.

Guest jumpinjivinjoe

I just ordered a "bump key" It is a key that bumps up the pins in any lock so that you can turn it and thus remove it easier.