Side mount kit

Richie66

I'm thinking of buying a duel side mount kit for my 40 120, I know nothing about these kits. are they hard to put on, I will have some help from a body guy to do this. is it any pros or cons in doing this, just need some advise --------Richie

This kit has everything, you cut the hole in the fender and weld in the base, I think I'll buy it but waiting on copies of the instructions on how its done.

I know some of you hate the idea of street rodding a Packard but thats what I want. the chassie is about finished, Mustang fron clip with power stearing rack&pinion, LS1 Corvette engine, 10 bolt Chevy rear end, etc.

I was hoping someone on this list has put a sidemount kit on their car so I could talk to them off list--------Richie

Guest bkazmer

The sidemounts are a tight fit in the wells. Post war original wheels are enough wider not to fit (yes, I did learn that the hard way). So assuming you are using some other later wheels, they won't fit. Also, the hub pieces that connect to the support rods fit original wheels. You may want to look for commercial body covers(like Henney) and cobble them to fit "empty" as they have attachments that hook to the fenders (the factory covers do not connect to the fender)

There's a 1941 Packard formal sedan on eBay right now that has a sidemount on one side, and no mount on the other. I suppose it could have been ordered that way, but I was also wondering if one of the fenders was replaced. Perhaps it was replaced during the war when two spare tires was outlawed, and those covers wouldn't work without a tire inside????

Thanks for you boys helping me out on this, I decide not to do the sidemounts. I'm not that good on cutting holes in my fenders so I've backed off. as one guy said it best, --your building a street rod, most street rods don't have clutter on them. sure wish I could find a good set of rear fenders for a 40--120, Richie

Guest John_Lawrence

To do the conversion correctly, you will also need a set of front springs from a side mount equipped car. The side mount cars used a different (stiffer) spring than the other cars due to increased weight on the front end.