Dyno Run's On-Guesstimates

Guest Greg Ross

Guest Greg Ross

Started a Thread in late June "We're Havin Fun Now"<BR>My kickoff to a conversion to a Standard Transmission coupled to what I thought was going to be a Series II 3800.<BR>Turned out the Long Block that had the attractive price was in fact a Series I.<BR>Not to be deterred, I've gone ahead with purchase of this engine and have acquired a complete suite of circa 1994 externals from a very low mileage engine.<BR>The original challenge was posted on the basis of the Series II option with 5-Spd. I'll now give EDBB, Padgett and anyone else who cares to postulate oportunity to retune their numbers.<BR>I was proposing putting Betsy Blue on a Dyno for baseline numbers, remember we're talking HP/ torque at the pavement. First numbers are the Stock 3800/Auto and the Guesstimates of what I'll see once the conversion is completed with manual Tranny. <BR>I'm getting on a DynoJet Bench wink.gif" border="0 tomorrow afternoon in Baton Rouge, LA and will post results of "In Test" later in the day.<BR>In fairness;<BR>my 3800 is showing 214,000 miles,<BR>stock style K & N<BR>2-1/2" Dia. AirBox Snorkel<BR>MSD Dis-4 Ignition<BR>Stock/ original transmission.<BR>My guess is; was<BR>Going in "peak" 2400rpm 130hp/ 140ft.lbs.<BR>Coming out " 3600 " 185 "/ 195 " "<BR>Modified/Series I<BR>Coming out " 3200 " 150 "/ 180 " "<P>EDBB's grin.gif" border="0<BR>His guess was;<BR>Going in "peak" 2400rpm 122hp/ 132ft.lbs.<BR>Coming out " 3800 " 192 "/ 201 " with CAI and K&N 9" cone<P>Padgett's cool.gif" border="0 <BR>Guestimate going in for chassis dyno: 125hp/200 ft-lbs/3600 peak, coming out 185 hp (50% gain)/240 ft-lbs/4800 rpm.

Bummer on the series I <P>Have you got $3,295 includes freight for ...<BR> L67_large.jpg YES it is <B>FACTORY NEW!</B><P>New series I results 170 / 190 at pavement and think I am high?

Going In: Stock 135hp/150tq<BR>Goint Out: SC Series I 180hp/220tq<P>I dont got a clue about peak RPMS so fill those in for me if ya want.<P>Also, what 5 speed tranny are you using, IM working on a 1992 Series I Supercharged transplant myself and would love a manual.<p>[ 08-09-2002: Message edited by: 90RedReatta ]

Guest Greg Ross

Rob,<BR>What's that I see peeking out from under that top cover, SC perhaps.<BR>And those can't be Ottawa Dollars?<BR>The price, that's fully dressed as shown???<BR>Red,<BR>The new transmission yet to arrive is a Getrag as installed behind the 3.4 OHC in the '91-93 Pontaic Grand Prix or Chevrolet Lumina.<BR>I've had absolutely great service from the stock V-6 in my '88. 80 additional horse power sounds enticing but in reality the 3800 FI is balanced and smooth. The 5-Spd is going in for preference, mine, and the Reatta was afterall proto-typed with a five speed, probably a Muncie.<p>[ 08-09-2002: Message edited by: GM Ross ]

3800/Muncie-Getrag comversions are common in Fieros, parts are rediliy available. They even live with SBC power, are strong. The power module for a GP/Lumina should even plug right in, Getrag is much smaller than THM.<P>Also dual cable shifter is very flexible about location/routing.<P>Suspect clutch placement to be more difficult looks like room next to the TEVES for a juice cyl but filling may be "interesting".

Guest Greg Ross

The Day was a 'Washout"<BR>Left Houma this morning for a relaxing tour over to Baton Rouge for a 1:00 pm appointment. About half way there the left front tire suddenly went flat. This was the start to the demise of my Day.<BR>Act I<BR>Aftermarket wheels/ nuts can't be removed with the standard lug nut wrench, I always carry a well stocked tool box and socket set, just because!<BR>Trunk in currently full of Series I engine parts, I'd completely emptied the trunk to clean the carpet-no socket set.<BR>Get on the Cell Phone -411 a friendly helpful operator attempts to transfer me to "Road Rescue" 3 times, three operators transfer my call gratis because I'm an AT & T customer. Each time "SunCom" comes on with a recording indicating that my call cannot be completed at this time!<BR>A "Good Samaritan" stops and has the necessary Sockets/ Bar and then makes a call for me into Donaldsonville to the Michelin Tire Dealer. No Problem, come on in and we'll do the repair.<BR>Act II<BR>Find the dealer without difficulty, tire off the rim and he announces it can't be repaired. There was an obvious hole thru the tread area where a short, stout bolt had been, the problem was the volume of chafed material loose in the tire. He advised me, new one on me" that the interior membrane of these tires are the air boundary, chafe it away and "obviously now" it won't hold air. No same size tire in stock, has a look in the back shop for a "Give-Me" to get me on my way-no luck! Advises me he's put my tire in the trunk, depart now with directions to a Michelin Dealer in Baton Rouge who he's certain will have the tire-I have "Road Hazzard" coverage-no problem.<BR>Get back on the road on the mini-spare, call ahead and slip my appointment back to 3:00 pm no Problem!<BR>Act III<BR>Arrive at the Dealer, no 215x65x15" in stock, but we can have it for you in two or three days, Sir! Buy a tire to install and the car goes off to the Service Bay. 10 minutes later the Tech finds me in the Store and asks me where my rim is, there's a tire in the trunk-"looks brand New"! but, no Rim!<BR>Back on the road on the mini-spare, call the Dyno Shop, sorry our other bay is full of newly arrived stock so no access to the lift. Just to get this done I'd have swapped a rear tire to the front to run the Test-Sorry, off I head to Donaldsonville, new tire, old tire and no rim!<BR>I was amazed there was still someone around, perhaps they were expecting me! Mounted and balanced the tire-no charge!<BR>Have an appointment for next Saturday Now!<BR>Sorry Guys! blush.gif" border="0

My best guess as to present hp. at the wheels would be 146, no guess on the torque. Based on 182 gross horsepower less 20% drivetrain loss.