AACA, the Granddaddy of Car Clubs

Dynaflash8

It strikes me that AACA is truly the heartbeat of our hobby. I wonder if all of you collectors out there nationwide think that is true? But, think of it, sixty-five years of trials, tribulations, learning and growing, building the largest membership in the hobby. As the largest organization in the world dedicated to the history of the automobile, perpetuated by events that foster the automobile's restoration, which result in the automobile's acclamation, AACA is in the forefront and an organization truly capable of leading our hobby into the new millenium. Consider what a force one automotive historical organization could have in this world if it included all of those interested in that history of the automobile. That may be a lot to ask, but not a lot to try for. What I wonder is, how many new ideas there are in this vast world of the internet on how that can happen? What ideas do you, John Q. Collector, have for interesting more "young people",let's say 25-50 years old who can carry us on into the future, but can<BR>begin their AACA trip now, not 15 years from now? I was 23 when I joined AACA. Each month our one night out with a babysitter was to attend the local AACA regional club meeting. The love of old cars became my lifetime interest and avocation. Or, how about all those thousands of Westerners, for example those thousands of California collectors? What would draw those folks closer and in larger numbers to membership in one, great, powerful organization like AACA? Or, specifically to AACA? Everybody should belong to their own one-car club, I have no qualms with that, but don't you think everybody should belong to one major umbrella club that brings all collectors together in one voice for our hobby? I think that's an honorable achievement to seek, don't you? Have you got any thoughts or ideas on how we can do it? They say ideas are like noses, everybody has one... .....wanna tell us yours?

Dynaflash, if you click on the "search" icon under the posting buttons at the top of this page and have this site's search engine look up the various threads which have "young people" in the title, you'll find at least a full evening's interesting reading on just this subject. Enjoy, but don't expect much of a plot to develope! smile.gif

Thanks Dynaflash. You have re-opened a subject that has gotten me tongue-tied in the past. This time I am going to jump in and let the chips fall where they may. I was born the month after AACA was formed and have unwittingly endorsed one of its' basic tenets I.E. AUTHENTICITY since age 5 when I told my Dad that I thought Sealed Beam Conversion Kits looked dumb on older cars and begged him not to install them on his '37 Dodge. I have been in the automotive hobby "mainstream" all my life and had never realized what AACA was. Now granted, I've lived someplace west of the Continental Divide since '58 but I don't understand how this organization that has brought me so much during the last five years when I finally joined; had escaped my notice for darn near 60 years. To make a long story short: Effective promotion of AACA is not one of our strengths. Our organization is so obscure here in the West; it is nearly Non-existent (save for ~6 Regions) Of the Five Nationals/Grand Nationals we have attended in the West, Peter and the Tucson group have graciously hosted three of them. I have to recognize the event hosted by San Diego that we were unable to attend during that time period. To cite another example of "Western Obscurity" I Think there are only two websites for Regions or Chapters west of The Continental Divide. Gee, that geographic feature has a somewhat surreal significance in this case doesn't it? O.K. Marketing Types, should we: (1) Advertise in Marque Club journals (2) Downplay "ANTIQUE" (3) Emphasize "AUTHENTICITY" (4) Add descriptive text to LOGO (5) Be more IMAGE CONSCIOUS when advertising events outside the club publications <BR> Any one of these five probably would have attracted this member when he was in his 30s instead of when he turned 60. I don't have too many regrets about how I spent my life, but I really wish AACA had occupied a lot more of it. AMEN Tom<BR>

Deering ~ Really glad to know that you are going to Aptos. I want to meet a man with your feelings about AACA. I have been a member for 37 years, 27 of them living on the east coast. Moved to Wyoming 10 years ago and became acutely aware of our Western defficiencies at that time. As AACA President in '88 & 89 I knew we were weak out here but we just couldn't seem to figure out what to do about it. In the past 10 years I have seen us grow weaker. You're right, a very few Regions are carrying the load. Others have memberships that have<BR>grown old with no new blood to take their place. I have seen that part of the problem<BR>is that "young" people don't particularly want to join up with a bunch of old pharts.<BR>I can understand that completely. Maybe we need some NEW Regions dedicated to the "younger" members. I'm 3 years older than you, but would like to be a participant, not a leader, in a group with young ideas. smile.gif

Deering, very good comments. As Howard mentioned we have puzzled for years how to break into the Western population. We are not only Easterners and Southerners - we do have some exciting activities all over the place, but we just have not been able to reach the West in suitable numbers. There are a couple of people working on possible regions in Oregon, but their fellow members of other clubs ask the critical question - what do we offer that they don't already have. I will be visiting my Son in Washington later this month and will visit some collectors I know in the area. I plan to talk to them to find out why AACA is not doing better in their area. Will welcome any ideas you and other DF contributors can provide. Thanx!

Ronbarn: One good sales pitch is insurance, both club and personal. Sometimes the personal insurers want you to be in a well known club as well as keep your car in a garage. <P>Deering: Those are great comments. I plan to copy down your five ideas. And I'll look forward to meeting you at Aptos. I used to know a lot of Californians from another club I was in, but I've sort of lost contact with most of them, some to that place in the sky. And, too I always hated sealed-beam converstions. I'm personally responsible for the 10-point deduction for sealed beams prior to 1940 on the judging form, many, many years ago, haha. Finally I'm a '38 model, so guess I'm 3 years younger than you. Howard's the old one here. haha

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dave@Moon:<BR><B>Dynaflash, if you click on the "search" icon under the posting buttons at the top of this page and have this site's search engine look up the various threads which have "young people" in the title, you'll find at least a full evening's interesting reading on just this subject. Enjoy, but don't expect much of a plot to develope! smile.gif</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>The story is, to what age are those folks referring to as "young people"? AACA has a great program for very young people. But, what do we do to keep their interest (and involvement) after they get into college, early marriage, early house buying and new kids? Those things often draw away young people's interest due to money concerns. I think if the "drivers" category under consideration becomes fact, that may help. But as an old codger now, I'm not sure I understand what might excite the younger people. It's probably not a big old '48 Buick Super sedan, which excites me! As for looking anything up, well, I just tuned in here a couple of days ago<p>[This message has been edited by Dynaflash8 (edited 08-03-2000).]

Does anyone have statistics on the number of antique, classic, historic, special interest, custom, modified vehicles that are registered in the US? The core market for the collector clubs probably consists primarily of the owners of these vehicles with a small percentage of historians and auto buffs added in. Perhaps the current AACA membership count is a healthy percentage of those persons who are in the antique, classic, historic portion of the spectrum. Our recruiting should be directed toward the uncommitted in these categories. In any event, AACA should not deviate from its charter of authentic preservation, presentation and enjoyment of these vehicles. As I travel to meets and auto related activities and participate in forums such as this, I find people in the 25 to 50 age bracket involved. The key to their involvement is showing a genuine interest in them and in their vehicles and also assisting them in any way possible to enjoy the hobby.<P>jnp

John Packard -<BR>Your are on target that the AACA should stay within its charter. Which brings me to comment about the Chesapeake Region's latest decision for their annual car show. Why is our AACA region allowing "any kind of vehicle" regardless of age, authenticity or modification on the show field? <P>For some idea of the size of the antique car hobby, check out Hemmings circulation, 260,000 monthly. My guess is that there are several million cars in the US more than 25 years old.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TodFitch:<BR><B>Dynaflash8 -- Just curious: I'm trying to place people I might have known in the Chesapeake Region in the mid-1970s. Are your real initials E B? ~~Tod</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>And did you drive the living heck out of a 1933 Plymouth? haha

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TodFitch:<BR><B>Dynaflash8 -- I take your answer as a "yes". By the way, I didn't "drive the living heck out of" the 33. I only put 40,000 miles on it in 4 years. Cars were built to be driven smile.gif</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>And I admired you for it!

Guest BruceW

I don't want to start any fights but...<BR>though I am not a member of Chesapeake Region, I see that their choice to allow all types of vehicles in their show as a chance to introduce the AACA to a wider range of people, other than just those that are already within the AACA circle.<P>The AACA webpage states ?The aim of the AACA is the perpetuation of the pioneer days of automobiling by furthering the interest in and preserving of antique automobiles, and the promotion of sportsmanship and of good fellowship among all AACA members??..<BR> <BR>To preserve something is to keep it from decaying or disappearing all together. The 57 Chevy with the rally wheels and dual exhaust may not be authentic but it is being preserved from rusting into the ground, or worse, being consumed by a crusher.<P>My first antique vehicle was a 1957 Chevy pickup that had white spoke wagon wheels and a car floor shift that a previous owner installed. It was nowhere near a show car and could be called a ?beater?. An AACA member found out I had this truck and invited me to join. If I had not had the truck, I probably would not have had a reason to join AACA. The old truck was used for tours and other club events. It was even placed in club shows, not to win any trophies (never cared for plastic trinkets), but to support the region and provide vehicles needed for an event. To my surprise, a lot of people always stopped by to comment how they liked the looks of that particular year, tell a story about their pickup, or even make an offer on it. The truck seemed to get a lot of interest from people under 30. Even though the pickup was not the caliber of the fully restored 29 Cadillacs or early Packards in the club, it and we were accepted by our region like anyone else (Re. good fellowship among all AACA members).<P>My interest are in restored vehicles of all type, especially original, authentically restored ones. However, if I had to have an authentic, restored vehicle to join the AACA, there would have been no way I could have afforded become a member at the time. By the time I could have afforded a ?proper? vehicle, my interestes may have moved on to something else. That old truck, though not entirely authentic and not a show winner, was what got me into the world's greates antique automobile club!<BR>

Dynaflash8 & BruceW -<BR>This new initiative by Chesapeake Region for their annual club show is to open up the show to all comers - authentic 25 year old cars, modifieds, hot rods & customs without any year restriction. The message is - bring a car and pay to register and we will put it on the show field. 'Judging and trophies in 10 classes' and 'Class 10 Modified Vehicles' are on the flier. This is quite different than showing an unrestored car with non-authentic parts like wheels, etc. Is this really the direction the AACA should be headed to attract new members?<BR>

It's a nice gesture for AACA regions to have all inclusive local car shows, but does the charter each region gets from AACA National give them the authority to sponser shows/tours that encourage hot rod & custom participation? Where does the line of AACA principals stop, National, or all parts of the organization?<BR>And if this is such good membership building tool, why not just expand it to all AACA events, create special classes with judging criteria and go with the flow?

Another long winded post. I got to learn to shorten things up smile.gif<P>The AACA has not always been such a stickler for details. And things were not always codified in a judging manual.<P>If I recall correctly the formal judging schools started about 25 years ago. I remember discussions about allowing or not allowing after market, but dealer installed items. For instance a radio or heater that was in the car when it originally left the showroom may have been installed by the dealer and may not have been a type "authorized" by the manufacturer. I suppose that the rule "as delivered to the dealer" was to avoid lots of arguments about what should warrant points deductions.<P>I seen no particular conflict in holding car show judging to National AACA standards and still allowing anyone on the field: The street rods will lose, they simply have too many modifications from original. The nice "drivers" might have a chance in a local show. Everyone can enjoy the cars with out getting too wound up in this stuff. The rodders, forewarned what the rules are should not get too angry about not getting trophies. Everyone can see the craftmanship and enjoy the day.<P>This whole ballyhoo about classes and judging is why I particpate in tours rather than shows. I am aiming for a authentic, for me, vehicle. And I am interested in the judging standards in that the research that goes into them is useful to me. Knowing the colors, cloth and even the types of hose clamps that were used assists me in keeping my car "correct".<P>If the other fellow in a tour feels that he had to modify his car away from stock to make it drivable, I can simply show him my stock mechanicals to show it ain't so. But I am not going to be rude or nasty about it. Just a "Gee, I found that if I cleaned up the whatisit and adjusted the thingajig then the original stuff is reliable. You might want to try it."<P>On the other hand, I am not removing the aftermarket early 1930s Hadees heater. It came in the car and I need it to keep warm on those fall and winter tours.

Guest BruceW

Reading the charter I have here, it says:<BR>"This certifies that a charter has been granted to the above region of the Antique Automobile Club of America, an organization whose purpose is to prepetuate memories of the pioneer days of automobiling by encouraging the preservation and collection of antique automobiles and automobilia."<P>I see nothing that authorizes nor discourages a region from interacting with other automobile hobbyists even if they are hot rod or custom car people. Interaction with "them" does not affect any principles of the AACA. A person or organization with strong principles does not have to be afraid of being affected by others that are different.<BR>As a person, I can talk to an alcoholic, an athiest,a homosexual, a street rodder or any other number of people, and just because they live a life that I do not partake in or necessarily agree with, it does not affect nor change my principles.<BR>The AACA is a solid organization with strong principles. It does not have to change just because some members may interact with car enthusiests who do not believe the same as us.

No dynaflash8, you haven't gone too far afield. Check the old "Young People" threads. Same premise, same subjects, same progression of discussion, and same results. <P>And every week another 1933 Plymouth is introduced to it's new small-block and headers. frown.gif

Dave, Your post got lost and now you say one of Dynaflash8's has too. Are we fumble fingered or is there a problem within our DF?

Guest BruceW

Ted,<BR>I am not suggesting that the national AACA organization should change from their purpose or the way they do things as an organization. Likewise, I am not suggesting anything like entering street rods or modifieds in a national AACA meet or be given a judging class. There are plenty of national events for the modified automobile enthusiests. The AACA should stay true to its purpose. That is the strength that makes the AACA great.<BR>I am just suggesting that the regions or chapters on a local level might consider opening some of their local shows to other car enthusiests of all type so that the interest in antique cars may be developed. This is a way to get the word out and spread interest in antique cars. I have never seen an original type antique car turned away from any street rod show or cruise-in that I attended (not saying it may not have happen sometime). However, I have heard numerous stories of modified cars being turned away from local antique car shows. This may be why many outsiders consider the AACA to be a "snobbish" organization (I've heard plenty of that before). <BR>If the local AACA regions or chapters develop an isolationist viewpoint, the other factions of the automobile hobby will prosper while the potential for growth in our part of the hobby will demise.

Guest BruceW

an additional note.....<BR>Although the old Chevy pickup is still around, it doesn't get used much any more. It has given way to a 1931 Ford Deluxe Tudor sedan that is stock and mostly original. In addition, we also have a 1935 Ford pickup that is being restored to stock, even down to the 6 volt electrical system and mechanical brakes. I am an avid enthusiest of history that enjoys the original, more simpler things. And I give thanks to being introduced to the AACA by an AACA member that did not shun me away because my old beater didn't fit into a certain class of cars many years ago.

Guest BruceW

Howard,<BR>I had a similar thing happen recently in another thread. I read a post in a lengthy thread of posts and responded..then later could not find the particular post that I responded to. I figured there either must be a way the DFer can retract a post or else the system simply burped and lost it.<P>(As the Twilight Zone melody plays in the background)