Transmission slipping?

fsc2

I was driving my automatic 89 Reatta this weekend, trying out the new front end and shocks/struts all around which led me into a possible problem. While taking a 90 degree turn, a little faster than usual 20-25 mph, the engine would rev (my first impression was that the transmission slipped). I checked the fluid when I went home and it was down maybe 1/4 quart. I didn't notice any leaks when I rebuilt the front end.

I am going to check the vac mod lines fro fluid tonight, per other posts.

Oh yeah the car has 179000 miles on it and was babied by my father.

When I pulled the vac line from the modulator and put a q-tip in the vac line, there was some black stuff in the line.

That was descriptive....it looked like grease or oil, BUT there so little of it on the q-tip. I was expecting the q-tip to be completely covered in transmission fluid, but it wasn't. Probably 70% of the q-tip was discolored.

My best guess is that the q-tip should have come out white/off white, without any signs of "oil/grease" on it?

Is this true?

Could this be where 1/4 quart of tranny fluid is going over a period of 2 months of driving?

And would a minute leak in my vac modulator really cause an occasionl slip as described above?

If all of this is true, anybody know off hand how much these little guys are?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fsc2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was driving my automatic 89 Reatta this weekend, trying out the new front end and shocks/struts all around which led me into a possible problem. While taking a 90 degree turn, a little faster than usual 20-25 mph, the engine would rev (my first impression was that the transmission slipped). I checked the fluid when I went home and it was down maybe 1/4 quart. I didn't notice any leaks when I rebuilt the front end.

I am going to check the vac mod lines fro fluid tonight, per other posts.

Oh yeah the car has 179000 miles on it and was babied by my father. </div></div>

Going around the curve really hard with the transmission fluid low is the problem. The fluid was forced to one side and the was not completely covering the pickup. Some air was sucked into the pump and it lost pressure for a moment allowing the clutches to slip. If the filter is dirty it could contribute to the problem. Add fluid until the transmission is filled to the full mark on the dip stick and the slipping should not return.

There is nothing wrong with the modulator from what you describe. The transmission line would be full of red transmission fluid if the diaphragm in the modulator was broken.

Guest spyhunter2k

Mine has done the exact same thing twice in the last few months. I take a rather hard left turn and begin to accelerate out of it and it misses a shift and revs to the moon. I back off the gas and re-accelerate and all is fine. I checked the trans fluid and it read on the low side of the indicated ideal range, but still within the range. Can being just a tiny bit low really be the only problem? If so, I would be very relieved, as I've been worrying that maybe my trans was on the way out...