Cassette door won't close with tape in tray

Guest steakneggs

Guest steakneggs

My cassette player on the Steakmobile has never worked and makes a clicking noise when I turn the ignition on and off. But I was hoping that I could use one of those cassette adapters that hook to an Ipod or portable CD player. But the door will not shut with anything in the tray. It looks like the two little wheels next to the pickup head are up too high, like they're in the play position. Hep me, Steak

Guest steakneggs

Thanx. I was able to get the door closed this way and got the tape screen but it just kept on clicking. I think I will read up on splicing a CD connector into the harness. Steak

Hi Steak, a great option may be this ... and it is reasonable. M&R Electronics is reputable ... this link (http://mnrelectronics.com/par16delolam.html) will take you to the OEM Radio/Cassette Deck like the one in my 1990 for $124.00 ... if your Reatta does not have that unit I'm sure they have the correct one.

A less glamorous option may be a salvage yard if cash is tight. When I had the Reatta I had before my current one the Cassette Deck went bad. I went to a local salvage yard that does their own pulling. They had several complete units ... three of which were in tiptop shape (the others not so much) ... $15.00 and 2 hours later I was back in complete AM/FM/Tape operation ... returned the core for $2.00 refund. Apparently the unit was used in a number of GM autos therefore not rare.

See ya, John in Sarasota

Guest Bill_Boro

Hello Steak,

I thought you were selling the steak mobile!

Did you change your mind?

Good luck on the cassette repair.

PS would you like to sell me the movie rights to your break job thread?

Guest steakneggs

The steakmobile is still for sale. I'm not the most aggressive salesman; I haven't advertised it anywhere besides this forum with an audience up to their ears in Reattas already. I have to make a token effort to satisfy other family members since it's become kind of a frivolous luxury with the gas prices and no back seat. I've been driving it regularly for the first time since I've owned it (giving my Festiva a break). I don't want to spend any money on a replacement deck; I want an inexpensive way to play CDs for the remaining days of my ownership of this fun and dependable (no Teves) automobile. Steak

Guest steakneggs

I'll throw in the movie rights with the purchase of the Steakmobile along with a factory manual and a few odd parts. $2300. A good price for the best Buick ever made with the only negative (the Teves) eliminated. Also to MD (and probably several other states), historic designation (no safety or emissions inspection). Maybe at some point I'll complete that hidiously long sales questionaire. Steak

Guest steakneggs

Getting back to my original question...Is there a way to splice some kind of jack into the tape deck harness that will use a portable unit that will fool the CRT into thinking that the deck is still there? My FSM mentions something called a "data line" that I believe must be incorporated to pull this off. I plan on replacing that useless deck with a plastic plate with the jack. Do you need the deck to keep the data line? Can this be done without removing the console? This is probably covered somewhere but I can't find it. Steak