main on board computer

I've findly purchased a 89 reatta, 82,000 mi It took a little time and it's well worth it. I was told by a mechanic that i might need a new computer. This computer is located behind the glover compartment. They said that they can not get a code reading from the computer and the readings that i might be getting from the crt may be incorrect. The problem that i'm having is the car is running rough. After getting her home, i decided to give her a tune-up. Wires,plugs she ran great. after a servicing the air condition, I decided to put a pcv,02 sensor and a cam shaft sensor because the crt constantly would show an electronic error on the monitor when first starting it up. The monitor reads an s-61 in the owners manuel. Engine controls problem detected. Can the Wizards of Reatta help me, PLEASE... What a awsome car... Is it true that Buick is coming out with a New Reatta in the next two years or so? I've heard they might!!!Thanks for all the help that all of the Reatta owner have given over the years. I've followed for years before getting mine... THANK YOU

smile.gif" border="0

Guest kennyw

[electrical problem] lighting [up] in the dash probably is a bad oil pressure sensor. When you get the message,,, get the gages on the screen. If you see max oil pressure, 155 as I remember....and the message on the dash at the same time,,,,,that is your problem. If not then the other guys may help you. If it is this problem, don't worry about it. It will cause no problem. Just replace it when you can................ken confused.gif" border="0

Really need to dump the codes ( check <a href="http://www.reatta.net/diagnostics.html">here</a> (note: instructions are for 90-91 but 88-89 is more verbose and uses the same codes. To enter go to the "climate" screen on the CRT and press "off" and "warm" simultaneously. After a second or so the screen will go to the diagnostics and are pretty much self explanitory. This is the "ALDL" function on a Reatta.<P>My instinct if a mechanic's first reaction to a running car is "change the computer" is run, do not walk. Particularly if (s)he does not know about the special ALDL.<P>ps could someone fix the section on "Reading and Clearing ALDL Codes", the cover on a Reatta says "Do not remove" not "Diagnostics" and clearing codes is done via the CRT.<p>[ 08-09-2002: Message edited by: padgett ]