You never know....in a junkyard

rhb1999

About 40 miles from me I accidentally found a junkyard with a bunch of cars from the late 40's to mid 50's. Most looked restorable and fairly complete.

I stopped in and talked to the owner. The cheapest, IIRC, was about $3500, a 55 Ford 2 two sedan. I thought that was steep. The owner told me things like "it was running when we parked it there". Most of the cars had antique tags on them. Odds are good they didn't match the car in my opinion. The man also tried telling me Jay Leno had contacted him about some of the cars. At that point I thought it best I leave.

I did tell him I'd like to come back and take pictures and perhaps get some quotes on prices. If anyone is interested I'll gladly do that for them.

Jay Leno has taken over Bill Harrahs position as the guy who wants to buy everything at an absurd price. I had a guy at work tell me about his 38 Ford flatbed. It's the only one left in the world and no wonder, they only built 100 of them. Jay Leno offered him 100K for it, but he's holding on for 250. Where do these nimrods come from???? We've all come across one, or his twin brother, "I'm gonna restore it...............Someday"

Some of these greedy junk yard owners could really cash in now with the price of scrap steel so high. To them the biodegrading old car only go up in value in their minds. Most of them will miss the opportunity again. Afterall they saw one like it sell at the Scottdale TV auction go for $150,000 and these only need paint and seat covers!

What we used to call it a Facto-bake & Rayco Restoration.

O also remember this man telling me he "knew" what all his cars were worth and no one was going to get one cheap.

Ok, fella. I get the point.

This man is probably about 60+ years old. I figure he'll die or retire and his kids will scrap everything out.

Guest wk's_olds

I live in SE Wyoming, and there are a couple of yards around here with old cars. I know of one that has a '50 Packard; maybe I can get pix of it tomorrow......

Yeah "I'm gonna restore it someday", they should remove the bag limit on these clowns and open the season to year round. I have been hearing that old song and dance for 30 years and every time I go back the car has sunk further into the environment. I have a guy near me who think he has the Lost Dutchman gold mine. He has 4 packards in it. 3 early 50's and a 41 with a tree growing up thru the empty engine bay. The early 50's ones(51-2-3-4) which are rodent dens he wanted $2,500 each for about 8 to 10 years ago. Same for the 41 and I don't think on the 41 there 2 pieces of metal touching one another. People see Barrett-Jackson prices and go from there. It's insane.

This place isn't like that. The last time I talked to them, ANY car could be had for a reasonable amount. That goes for old cars too. I know this because I bought one. (This yard will take in any car regardless of how old it is) I won't tell you the dozens of cars that could have been bought at a fair price, that I posted on these forums and elsewhere over the years, but few takers, only to see them go to the crusher. I quit doing it, but when I saw this Packard, I posted it. I just can't stand to see these cars destroyed.

Guest Scott Roberts

Hey rhb1999, could you share the location of this yard with a fellow Floridian. Maybe we can stop the crusher from getting them all. Scott