Inverse Cowl Induction Hood

Who would be interested a new hood for a reatta? I will post more details on it when I can explain it a little better with pictures or something.

So padgett what would be the best way to get fresh cold air off the hood into the intake and also cool the engine. Maybe move those ducts into the center behind the radiator and add a ram air over teh sides?

T'were me, I'd open the existing air duct through the radiator support up to 3" and fit a scoop with drain into the drivers fog light opening. Wouldn't touch the hood for that.<P>Extractors to move air out from under the hood might be a good idea and could be symmetrical.<P>If I were going to build a custom hood, the 69 1/2 Camaro hood with the raised rear center could work nicely.

The scoop will not work that way. At highway speed the air flow from the radiator will push thru the duct hole. If you look at the Ford GT-40 and Shelby's new roadster this type of duct hole is used to create down force and vent heat. It would look radically cool. Maybe you could get the dealer promo model and experiment with that.

Were you thinking of have the hood customized? or fabricating a fiberglass one from scratch? I've been interested in doing something to get some ram air effect and also for looks, but hestitate to cut into the original hood. I was thinking along this line. (note body style is similar)<P> tMVC-003f.jpg

I think that there is a position for you and your ideas at General Motors. There are many like minded engineers and designers who think like you.<P>Think of the top side of you Reatta hood. Now think of the top side of an airplane wing. <P> See the similarity? <P> As air flows over <B>both</B> curved surfaces it flows faster. Fast flowing air provides for lower pressure and therefore <I>lift!</I> This is one of the reasons planes fly. It is also the reason why this design will <I>suck</I> the air out of your intake. <P>You will fit in very well with the current crop of designers.<P>Some other scoop ideas ~ ne_fb_collectors.jpg

I'm interested and I'd like to know more, my car has a tendency to run a little too hot in traffic for my liking. New 180 thermostat, radiator flushed with new coolant and new water pump and I still get two clicks from overheating in 90+ degree weather and stuck in medium traffic.<P><BR>Terry Peck

Well it will be a while before I am a designer for GM as I am only 17 years of age, but I started young and have designed many things in drawings and worked iwth that 3d design, but if you have any questions on the hood please let me know or help me out with ideas.<P><BR> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR> As air flows over both curved surfaces it flows faster. Fast flowing air provides for lower pressure and therefore lift! This is one of the reasons planes fly. It is also the reason why this design will suck the air out of your intake. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Actually if you place the filter behind the impression air will fill the intake area and the intake will suck it in.<p>[ 08-08-2002: Message edited by: 90RedReatta ]

Nice idea but agree, those will extract air not supply it - good things to have behind the radiator. If you want something flush - look into NACA (predecessor to NASA) ducts. <P>Suggest looking <a href="http://www.racerpartswholesale.com/naca.htm">here</a>.<P>BTW the reason the hood scoop on the Firebird TA (1970-73 functional, dummy thereafter) was to avoid having to use a rejetted carb. If the scoop faced forward and actually had some ram effect, the stock carb would lean out.<P>Might mention that "cowl induction" usually refers to taking air from the high pressure area at the base of the windshield.<P>Not a dig, you just were not around when cars still had cowl(ing)s.

Red Reatta, if u could just come up with some type of mold, that would be cool. Then we could have the option of fiberglass or the latest and greatest- carbon fiber. A carbon fiber hood that was just clear coated and not painted would be sweet. There's a guy I know in Indianapolis that molds body parts for an Indy car team there. I'm sure I could talk him into tryin something like this and maybe give you some great Ideas.<BR> cool.gif" border="0cool.gif" border="0