Body Dimensions

Guest Bob Call

Guest Bob Call

Does anyone know of a restoration book or a source of drawings having the correct dimensions for a 30 31 coupe body. I have a coupe body that has no wood, all rotted away, and the floor and sub frame has been torched out. I want to put things together with the right dimensions so every thing will fit and the body will fit right on the frame.

Any help will be appreciated.

Bob

bobcall@sbcglobal.net

Bob, Clymer's Model A Ford Restoration Handbook has most dimensions, and reprints of this older book are readily availible from most parts houses. These are not super quality pictures, but the dimensions are there. For quick response on a specific detail try Fordbarn -

No structural wood to speak of in your coupe, a kit will take care of the tack rails and roof, and you can either make or buy floors ready to go.

Good luck, so are you bringing it back to stock?

Guest Bob Call

Steve

Thanks for the tip on the Clymers book.

About wood kits, do you know anything about the kits from Snyders or Macks? My cousin bought a kit for his 29 roadster from Sacramento Ford and it took a lot of work with a rasp and sandpaper to get every thing to fit right.

Howells Sheetmetal in Nederland, TX, seems to have good prices on cowl patch panels, floors and subframe rails. Know anyone that has used their products?

Sorry, but no it won't be total stock. I'm building a driver not a show car. Something just for fun. Like I have boxed the frame in anticipation of more than a stock engine. May go something like my cousin did with his roadster. A built 1934 "B" engine with an original Miller Schofield overhead conversion, Wico mag, dual Stromberg 81's and GM TH400 transmission (kept the cluth pedal for effect). I have the 1 piece splash apron/running boards that were original to the body and frame but will probably use glass fenders.

Thanks

I think it is a reasonable expectation that some of the wood will need fitting - I know mine did. Have bought from both Snyder and Macks with good luck. Most of the big suppliers get parts from the same makers - but not all.

Car sounds like a nice traditional hot rod - I would love a '28-'29 highboy banger to go with my stock tudor. Accumulating parts - but not really enough to call it another car yet. I won't need glass fenders, as it will have none... grin.gif

Curious, why go with glass fenders if you have the originals?

Guest Bob Call

Steve

I don't have fenders. When I got the car it was the frame with front and rear suspension, the body, the splash apron/running boards and 1930 grill shell.

Bob

1930 A Coupe project

1954 Austin Healy 100-4

1978 Triumph T140 Bonneville

• 3 years later...
Guest Westerly

Is there an assembly guide somewhere showing how to assemble a new floor into a 1931 Model A coupe without the rumble seat. The floor in my coupe is gone up to the seat raiser, rthe subrails are also gone, and the sheetmetal is gone from the rear to the doors up about 2". I need to know what the floor pans look like, and how they attach to the subrails, and how the subrails would attach to the body panels, wheel wells, and rear. I am also looking for good sources for pans, subrails, and rear panels below the trunk, both inner and body panels. Any help would be appreciatede.

I rreally don't know exactly how to use the forum as a platform, so if someone could email me at westyler74@msn.com, I can coorespond with responses, thank you.

Wes Tyler