Sign in to follow this  
Smartin

1958 Limited Four Door Riviera

I've seen several cars get senior/preservation awards with black floors.

Back to the garage to make a mess!

Rob:

That is what I did to mine. - Dan

Hey, I'll bet if we analyzed the "primer" on the bottom of most high-point Buicks, we'd find a carefully crafted ruse of base-coat/clear-coat, dumbed down to look like red-oxide primer. It's like the Bare Metal finish that Eastwood sells; I actually like the idea of faux-painting things like suspension bits that weren't originally painted at all. They look so nice after they're wire-wheeled, it's a shame to hit them with black Tremclad.

It's good to see you back in the garage. I was afraid that "we" weren't getting anything done, Buick-wise. Keep it up so I don't feel so lazy.

post-54279-143138784134_thumb.jpg

DAN, that will look smashing with a black frame, too. However, you couldn't bring yourself to accurately overspraying the body colour onto the edges, could you? To heck with judging points; if painting the underbody of your car plaid makes you happy, go for it!

If my Buick ever gets out into the daylight, I'm searching out some mud puddles. I'll want to hide the fact that I never crawled under the car with a wirebrush and spray bombs. "Greasy side down", lads.

The body shell is stripped and nearly ready for primer. Some small corners and edges I'll need to do by hand. Then seam sealer and primer!

body_stripped.jpg

can't wait to see this land barge finished adam you are doing a wonderful job,makes me really want to get back to my 57 super 53 good luck 4 bufords from ct

Looking sweet there Adam! It really is a good feeling when you get that primer down over the bare metal, isn't it! Can't wait until you throw some paint on it.

Just for grins, how did you paint the roof and did you use a HVLP spray gun. If so, what kind? Also, did you do the primer in your garage? Thanks.

Edited by 1957buickjim
more questions... (see edit history)

Looking good! Bet your glad to finally be putting things back together instead of tearing it apart.

I'm just using a standard siphon feed gun for the primer. I'll be using a different one for the color. Yes, primer was done in the garage.

Definitely feels good to get some paint on it!

When I first saw your car Adam, I thought, wow, this is a huge job. It will take forever. And now you're almost ready for the inaugeral spin around the block. Gotta hand it to you, you are the man!!! Very nice!

Adam,

Things are looking great! I watch some of you guys and remember that you and others inspired me to keep going on mine. Can't wait to see some real color flying!!! Matt:)

When I first saw your car Adam, I thought, wow, this is a huge job. It will take forever. And now you're almost ready for the inaugeral spin around the block. Gotta hand it to you, you are the man!!! Very nice!

I just need to add brake fluid, a steering wheel, and a milk crate:cool:

Do you intend on a body off restoration? You could easily spend 15K just on the chrome and stainless restoration. I am just about finished mine, 53 Olds 98,4dr. I love the car but what I can get for it in no way justifies the expense, and I did most of it myself with the exception of having someone paint it. In my opinion, these cars should get just as much as the muscle cars of the 60s. they cost far more to restore and are much more rare but unfortunately thats not what brings in the money. Good luck.

The body has been off, and is back on after the chassis, drivetrain, and body underside were restored.

I've begun the process of having the chrome redone, and I am slowly feeding parts to them. I just sent the second batch of parts last week. I will be doing the stainless restoration myself.

Geeze, was that you that robbed the Bank here recently?

Please show us some of that bling as it arrives...I will never tire of those pics.

Geeze, was that you that robbed the Bank here recently?

Good one Stealthbob! Especially with the question I'm about to ask Adam.

About your chroming, do you have a good shop to do your pot metal repair / chroming? My Limited & Roadmaster trunk pieces will need rechroming and while I have a shop up here in Canada, have heard that work (pot metal) is expensive.

Have you had yours done yet? If so how did it turn out?

Looking forward to seeing pictures of your tail light bars.

I would appreciate contact information and see what I can afford. PM me if you like.

Doug

BCA# 35039

I'm sure you are aware that POT metal is very difficult to deal with. If the piece has any detail, well, often it is either lost of reduced in definition.

Most shops are doing their very best, NOT, TO DEAL WITH IT.

I have heard for example that a 41 grill can run as much as $2,000.00.

I wish you well,

Dale in Indy

The only pot metal parts I've had done so far, are the rear bumper wedges, and they were very pitted. They turned out absolutely perfect.

I had all my port metal done by Finishing Touch in Chicago. They turned out great, the detail was still there and they didn't lose anything. It was not cheap but they off BCA members a 5 % discount.

Every chrome shop I have talked to over the years has said the same thing. You have to grind the chrome off of pot metal, and that's where you lose the detail. Sure they can put it back with lots of copper and nickel coats, and sanding/filing, but like Bill said, IT'S EXPENSIVE, it takes lots of time, and that's money.

Take for example a 41 grill center piece, Lots of detail there, and you tell me how you will remove the old chrome without losing some of the sharp edges, and impressions? I have seen several center sections, and compared to an original, well you can see and feel the difference. The nice thing about pot metal, it allowed for intricate pieces, but over time we all know that pitting occurs, and there lies the problem.

Dale in Indy

Here is a shot of what I have to work with on my Limited, hence my question about pot metal re chroming. Anxious to see how yours turn out Adam.

Doug

post-36036-143138815344_thumb.jpg

post-36036-143138815361_thumb.jpg

DEI (that's "god" in Latin), does Mrs. Dei know that you had car parts on the dining room table? Shime, shime, shime.