1958 Limited Four Door Riviera

Smartin

I think you're ready to open up your own shop...

I was thinking the same thing! If you do not find employment in Cincinnati, you're the man with the skills to create your own opportunity.

Congratulations on the pending engagement! Good for you, Adam, and your Buick friends will be eagerly waiting for forthcoming details. And just think what a spectacular wedding car a '58 Buick Limited will be!

Guest Rob McDonald

You're on the right track to follow Mike's business plan. That is, you appear to be reeling in a wife with a steady job - essential to successful self-employment.

That is great Adam! Feels good to get it on the road, even if it is very air conditioned! :). There is a great sense of accomplishment knowing that at one time the drive train was a bucket / box of parts, the harness a twisted mass of spaghetti, and hoses, bolts and belts a tangled mess. Then you put it all together and voila! It starts and runs and can actually drive, steer, shift and stop. What an incredible feeling. Congrats on getting it this far. Keep up the work and the updated postings. I hope you can get it together for the National meet in South Bend..can't wait to meet you and you 58!

Guest Rob McDonald

"twisted mass of spaghetti, and hoses, bolts and belts a tangled mess" - JIM M'BOY, you've described my Buick perfectly! It was once among the "walking wounded", like Smartin's unLimited. Somewhere I've got photos of my Roady, with no hood or front fenders, and the doorman at Edmonton's Hilton Hotel holding the driver's door open for me.

Hehehe, I just had a thought - it's a Middleton family business, marrying one's fortune. It worked especially well for Mike's cousin Kate.

...and the Little Green Car (//www.miguelitoslittlegreencar.com/blog/)

post-59990-143139168882_thumb.jpg

Edited by Rob McDonald (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...

Jambin'!!

The color appears to be a slight bit more purple than the original, but it's in artificial light right now. I may roll it outside tomorrow and see how it looks. It shines like crazy, too. Looks wet...love it.

The color combo looks stunning, though! I am pleasantly surprised at how well the white compliments the Blue Mist.

jambs_painted001.jpg

jambs_painted002.jpg

jambs_painted003.jpg

jambs_painted004.jpg

jambs_painted005.jpg

jambs_painted006.jpg

Guest Rob McDonald

Smashing shining colour! Is it an illusion of the photos or did you paint everything silver first? The tops of everything look different from the vertical surfaces. Probably just catching the overhead lighting differently.

Dead paint, live car

post-59990-143139193118_thumb.jpg

Guest Rob McDonald

Perfect panel gaps - I think they were invented in the 1990's by Mercedes Benz, trying to justify their overpriced products. When my bodyman friend finished aligning the doors on my Roadmaster, prior to sending it for paint, he was pretty pleased with the door-to-fender gaps. Although not terrific, he said the GM used to do a better job of it than Chrysler or Ford. Regarding Fords of the late '50s, he said "You could throw a chicken through the gaps."

Thanks guys...feels really good to hit this milestone. It keeps me moving! On that note, I have already stripped, primed, and painted the jambs of the front fenders. They are ready for install. I just have to figure out how the front inner sheet metal goes back on. hmm....to the photo vault!!!

The black stuff goes on the inside of the engine compartment! :D Should be similar to my 57 in the engine compartment. I you want, I can post some photo's later of my engine compartment re-assembly.

Guest Rob McDonald

Oh no! not the danged fender fastener thread again! We never did identify a reliable source for those things, did we?

Guest Rob McDonald

I'd hate to delay your progress but I wheeled all my fender bolt/washer assemblies, too. After sitting in damp storage one winter, these little buggers bloomed with rust. Must have scratched the zinc off them. I'd recommend at least giving them a shot of silver paint before reinstalling. Or, gather them up and take them to a hot dip galvanizing shop for plating. Most shops will do a bucketful for $50 and some will even do it for free. I wouldn't normally be so picky, myself, but the darned things are so visible...

I slapped the driver's side fender on this evening. This front sheet metal is a major pain in the arse to get lined up. You pretty much have to leave all of the fasteners loose until you get them all started...and then you're still fighting it into place. I can't wait until I get the hood on. That should be fun to line up. I still have to install the heater hose on the passenger side, as well as the fuel line...before I can install the passenger side fender.

installed001.jpg

installed002.jpg

installed004.jpg

Guest Rob McDonald

Pay attention, lads. What SMARTIN is telling us is that, to eventually remove or service that heater hose or fuel line, one must remove the freakin' fender. Buick didn't invent hard-to-fix but they sure advanced the practice.

You can remove the access panel under the passenger side for that. True it is tight but if you fast for a week or two you can thin down enough to get the job done through that access panel. Make sure to duct tape your wrists and forearms first.

Oh... and by the way and I probably missed this, but what are you spraying here for your top coat colors? base coat / clear coat? single stage urethane? acrylic enamel? acrylic lacquer? .... PPG, Ditzler, Dupont ?

Edited by buick man (see edit history)

I slapped the driver's side fender on this evening. This front sheet metal is a major pain in the arse to get lined up. You pretty much have to leave all of the fasteners loose until you get them all started...and then you're still fighting it into place. I can't wait until I get the hood on. That should be fun to line up. I still have to install the heater hose on the passenger side, as well as the fuel line...before I can install the passenger side fender.

Why did you decide to install the fenders before installing and fitting the hood to the cowl and front doors?

Al Malachowski

BCA #8965

"500 Miles West of Flint"