Texas Road Warriors (Part 4)

I feel almost guilty writing this since I just found out I won't be taking a Buick with me this time. I will still be driving so that should count for something.

I was originally going to drive my Wildcat up (I even got the AC working in anticipation). Then my boss needed a 1950 Boles Aero travel trailer picked up in Grand Rapids. No problem, they would let me use their 2007 Dodge 3500 dually to haul my Wildcat up on a car hauler and then my father (Peyton, who has been my navigator on two other Nationals trips) drive my Wildcat back following the trailer. The Boles wouldn't fit on the hauler ( are ya lost yet?) so today I decided that since they were paying my fuel costs anyway (saving me at least a grand) I would just take the Dodge up and haul the fancy new trailer back. I will keep you posted, but I don't think it will be as exciting as the past Buick-driven threads.

IMG_0488.jpg

Here's a pic of the inside of the trailer I will be pulling back from Michigan.

Mike

Mike is the only one of us who are driving this year. Gas prices has NOTHING to do with my decision, time does.

I can afford to take 3 days off of work, I can't afford to take a week + off to drive as much as I would like to. Old Tank and I took my Riviera for a cruise on Saturday and I wished I was driving that instead of flying.

Mike, I hope Peyton enjoys the modern ride.....

See you all in Flint.

Well guys, I for one was looking forward to the day by day recap of the trip but you have to do what you have to do. Bill, I remember the exciting stories about your trip to the Batavia nationals a couple of years ago. You handled a lot of adversity with a smile and a laugh. I am sure there were a lot of other emotions that we were not privy to.

See you guys later.

Stevo

Well since the wildcat's seats are boat vinyl I'm sure he won't miss the back sweat. I doubt he will mind NOT smelling like unburnt hydrocarbons either. The sun will of course still be on the passenger's side in the mornings, though. Of course I will really miss these things. wink.gif

Mike

see y'all at breakfast!

I left Sherman, Texas this morning, bound for Flint with a pickup truck load of Buick parts to sell. Going through central Missouri right now, where gas is about $4.00 to $4.05 a gallon. The oldest thing I have seen on the road today was a '68 Chevrolet Caprice 2-dr. passing me at 70+ mph. I got a glimpse of a really clean 1962 LeSabre or Invicta 4-dr. hardtop for sale on the front row of a used car lot in either Muscogee or Pryor, Oklahoma this morning--nice, stock, clean, original car along US Hwy. 69, no price on it.

David Corbin is my navigator and we share the driving. Hope to be in Flint by Tuesday evening. Will post updates of any interesting sites and cars.

Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

Guest imported_Thriller

No road trip report from me this year either. As compared to five years ago, I actually have a car or two that would make the trip (perhaps even three) under their own power, but The Boss' holiday schedule didn't work out to be able to make the family trip, then Flint, then Oshawa, so I am flying solo, leaving tomorrow morning.

If anyone sees this and sees Kris Syrdal, let her know I found out today they changed my flight time into Flint, so either check the time (supposed to be 6:55 p.m.), or just let me take the airport shuttle. I should be good and hungry by then though...a nice relaxing dinner with someone would be nice.

Sorry for the lack of posts. My computer got infected by a virus and has been useless for two days until Bill Stoneberg cured it--thanks, Bill!

Here are some photos from our first stop in St. Louis at the '42 Buick garage of Paul Meyer. Note the '39 Century with factory sun roof and my travel partner checking to see if it is real or not.

Pete Phillips

post-33059-14313799264_thumb.jpg

post-33059-143137992663_thumb.jpg

post-33059-143137992682_thumb.jpg

Time for this Texas Road Warrior to do some miles.

Seen lots of nice cars and some wierd sites. Met some real nice people, the breakfast for the Discussion forum was great.

Now off to Northern Michigan (Makinaw Island) for a nite and then back for the Parade on Sunday.

Bill

Sunday morning--heading home for Texas. I was told that there were about 630-640 cars at the meet. It got a bit damp on Saturday afternoon and evening. Will try to post another photo or two. The 1915 Buick with Walter Marr's experimental V-12 engine was a highlight for me; also the 1960 factory-customized Harlow Curtice Electra convertible.

I brought a truck load of old Buick parts to sell, but I am heading home with 99% of them--traffic and sales in the swap meet area were the worst I've ever seen at a BCA national meet. Still, I'm glad I went, and thanks to all of the BuickTown Chapter members for their work. The photo I am attaching is of a 1916 Buick truck, mostly unrestored.

Pete Phillips

post-33059-143137993514_thumb.jpg

Guest gecco

i don't know if it's a good thing or bad that I can tell which day the photo was taken by how the cars are parked in the background!

This was my first BCA national; it was a mixed bag for me - I thought 600+ cars was a good turnout and there was a nice cross-section between decades, but I was very disappointed in the swap meet section (would like to find a power antenna for the '55).

I took about 75 photos and will try to download them today.

I am back home thanks to wonderful airline system we have in this country. Where else can you pay $ 5.00 for a bag of trail mix,be crammed in a seat made for migets and be happy ?

Anyway, I stayed for the parade and I have 2 1GB sim cards full of pictures I will post later on today.

Guest DaveCorbin

This Texas road warrior is back home in Fort Worth. As usual. I had a great time riding with Pete. 4 days on the road with him swapping car tales and "look at thats" is a great experience and I'll just let the rest of you turn green.

I only bought one item, which was a full set of spare wheel side covers for a 39 Roadmaster. The swap meet was dull, but not the fault of the Flint committee folks. $4 gas slowed things up badly. For reference to the 640 cars, there were over 1800 cars in 2003.

If you didn't see that 1915 V12 Buick touring car which was displayed by Walter Marr's great grandson Paul Durant Marr, you missed the chance of a lifetime. The fact that it was displayed next to the little experimental cyclecar that has a TELESCOPING steering column in 1914 gave us all something to bend our minds with.

If that wasn't enough for 1 person, I spent one day examinng the 1903 Marr car drawings (49 of them). Features include a TILT column steering wheel, a single cylinder DOUBLE OVERHEAD CAM engine !! I nearly had brain overload ! The two Buick drawings in the file from 10/31/1905 only showed Marr carburetor design #52, which featured a throttle that works by changing the resonance frequency of the air column of the carburetor. It's a 1905 version of variable length passages in the intake manifold, a idea which went into production about 1998 (only 93 years later!)

Forumn breakfast and PWD dinner were highlights, too!

Regards, Dave Corbin

Just got back at 9: 30 tonight. Close to 2,000 mile road trip, with several issues that luckilly were easily overcome. Mostly the state of Michigan appears to be one large construction project. 70 MPH roadways come to a complete stop for several miles and people don't get crazy about it. AND it is a beautiful State. If you have never been there, you really should put it on your short list of things to do.

The Meet was great. Not as many cars as in 03 but I kinda expected that. By the way, regular gas was dropping and as we left it could be bought for less than $4.10 per gallon. Our club members were <span style="text-decoration: underline">all</span> friendly and accomodating. It is always a pleasure to attend one of these meets and make new acquaintances. The forum breakfast was very enjoyable, and thanks to Stevo and Roberta for organizing it. And Mr. Earl for recommending the yankee swap.

And a standing ovation to The Buicktown Chapter for a wonderful job.

Guest imported_Thriller

Thanks for the chuckles guys.

Pete, I was scratching the head on the photo title "39 cent sunroof DCorbin" - I was wondering if Dave had found a really good deal. Of course, after seeing the photo, I understand the title.

Texans at breakfast was an interesting thing...I'm surprised Mike remembers it crazy.gifwink.gif ... Bill sure got a lot of exercise running that Buick radiator emblem around back to his table...it was really good to put a face to one of our favourite number guys, Mr. David Corbin - that is some amazing spreadsheet.

I'm happy to have been able to meet / re-acquaint / spend time with those of you who made it up. The people are really what these events are about for me now...the cars are the common interest that bring us together.

Guest DaveCorbin

Dear Derek:

Actually, I was trying to lift Paul's car one-handed when the roof gave way! Texans are tough. Seriously, Pete asked how to prove it had a sunroof. I said: Watch this! and he snapped that picture.

Regards, Dave Corbin

Well, I finally made it back last night.

The trailer wasn't finished when we showed up. Unbuffed, cabinets not installed, trim not installed. Luckily my boss had flown into Flint, so she was able to decide to take possession of it without me throttling anyone. I was not coming back empty-handed! I now also have a new project at work- finishing aformentioned 1952 Boles Aero trailer, things like buffing the exterior, installing cabinets, etc. cry.gif

A bit of an update. At the last minute, they decided it would be better for me to drive their Lexus (Landcruiser thingy SUV) instead of the BIG Dodge (for mileage purposes). Fully loaded automatic everything... Midway through the second day of driving northbound, my father stated that it was really boring driving across country knowing we were going to make it! grin.gif

Anyway, on the way back, we got a whopping 9.2 MPG hauling the 18 foot trailer. I'm glad I wasn't paying for the gas!

I had a great time, and would like to also extend my thanks to Roberta and everyone else involved for the hospitality shown to everyone at the Nationals and the breakfast.

Mike

ps. I would also like to thank the owner of the Soggy Bottom Bar in downtown Flint for the fine pool hall and strong Crown and Sevens.

Stevo,

After my dad turned in after one beer at around seven o'clock Thursday night, I drove back to the show field to wander around a bit more. The sheriff informed me (in not necessarily the nicest way) that the park was closed. What's a car guy to do at (by that time) eight o'clock? Head back to Bennigans? Heck no, I'm seeing the town baby! I drove around a little and saw a cool sign in front of a dive stating they had pool and cocktails. BINGO! I walked in to 80's soul music and quickly realized this wasn't a Budweiser kinda place. I ordered a Crown and Seven, figuring that was a good cocktail for a pool hall. Working for restaurant owners (and having worked around restaurants) and being on vacation, AND having been a touring musician, I know how to tip bartenders. They showed their appreciation by pouring progressively stronger drinks until I started befriending the assembled pool players at which time I started buying other people drinks which made me a pretty cool guy in the bartenders eyes, thus making the drinks that much stronger. So, now you know the rest of the story...

Mike

Next time count me in, I grew up in the bar business and know what makes the bartenders tick. Tip up front right away, tip big and you get it back and then some. You still have to tip as you go but you get it back in spades.

stevo

And you even made it to the breakfast the next morning too. I think I remember days like that....

One of my highlights was being on the show field friday night waiting for the buses to the fireworks. When I discovered there were none I went to leave and there I saw a dead 55 Buick on the bridge over 475.

Someone had stopped to help but the car would not start for the owner. By the time I parked another gent came on the scene and the three of us pushed the Buick off the bridge and up the small curb into the parking lot right there. By this time 5 or so more Buick people showed up and all the mechanics were making recommendations when someone ( a Corvette guy) showed up with a gas can.

3 gallons later the owner now knows he can't trust the fuel guage. But he can trust the mechanical fuel pump because he discovered the next morning that his safety net auxiliary electric pump had been disconnected previously.

Guest imported_Thriller

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bill Stoneberg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Your Dad had 2 beers Thursday night, one at the hotel (Moulsen Canadian) and then another at the Firking Hot Fox with dinner.

</div></div>

Man, he could at least drink good Canadian beer...sigh...actually, since I tend to prefer microbrewery beer, you are even less likely to see it south of the border.

Oh, and it is Blue, not Labbatt's, no matter what the marketers tell you crazy.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bill Stoneberg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Your Dad had 2 beers Thursday night, one at the hotel (Moulsen Canadian) and then another at the Firking Hot Fox with dinner.

</div></div>

That explains the early night for him! The details are coming back now...

Mike