1923 Dodge Brothers Touring with Australian body

I posted a picture of my 1923 Australian Dodge tourer a couple of days ago. I am sure only the running gear, cowl and fenders were imported here and the bodies were built here. When I removed the front seat in 1974, the word "Brisbane" was painted on the seat top cross brace. There was a wooden frame with the body work tacked to the frame work. It was neat to see all the little wedges and slithers of timber used to get the gaps etc correct back in the day.

I have Googled some 1923 Dodge pictures and it seems the U.S version had an all steel body plus it seems that the U.S bodies had a swedge around the top and around the doors. Mine does not have this swedge, it stops at the cowl. I have also noticed my Dodge seems to sit higher at the back. Maybe this was done on purpose because our roads and terrain were rougher than in the U.S?

Do you want me to post more images to see if yours is the same?

John

John, I'll answer FOR Joe, he must be sleeping. YES, by all means post some more pics of your car. I only noticed your interior in the other pics. The unique body slipped right by. The door handles should have rung a bell. Also it looks like the same large radius at the top of the doors as Joe's new ride. To fill in the blanks for everyone, Joe bought my neighbor's '23 DB touring, built in Australia. The body is made of aluminum and is slightly differant shaped then American DBs. And of course is right hand drive. Joe's new car has always been one of my favorite cars belonging to my neighbor. In fact he used it in my daughter's wedding. It has now been owned by 3 DBC members.

Here are some more images. I started this restoration in 1974 when I was 16 yrs old and finished it in 1992. Got it fully road registered and let it lapse in '98 when the kiddies started arriving. Now they are old enough to ride in it, I'm taking it for inspection for rego again next week. db1.jpgdodgefrontseat.jpgdb3.jpgdb4.jpg

Hi all, Doug I thought about the ticket passing thru New York to late to turn around I'll send you a check. How much?Mind is going!

Also thanks for filling in while I was sleeping Don't you sleep?

John, Thanks for the info and the pictures and please post more.In the next few days/weeks I'll be looking the car over from bumper to bumper. First thing,get a new gas shut off valve, this one leaks. Second,Fix battery box. When I unloaded the car, drove it in the garage went to disconnect the bat, the hot post was a 1/2 inch away from the metal battery box. the battery could have very easily slid into the box causing a spark,and we all know where that leaking shutoff valve is located. Yep, a foot away.

Today I put insurance on it!!!

I'll post some pics. as soon as I figure how to.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All.It's me again

I've been going though the 23 this past weekend and discovered I have signal lights.

There's a lever attached to the dash,when you push it to the left the left cowl light light. If you push it a little further it winds a spring and starts a mechanism that turns a gear which opens and closes a set of points that makes the cowl light blink. It' last about 30 seconds.

My question is, does anybody know how early signal light came about? I remember them in the early fiftys, but this seems way earlier then that.

Thanks.