sluggish T Roadster

dwollam

I recently bought a 27 T roadster from an elderly gent that completely restored it. Has stock engine and head with new distributor and a water pump and a 3.0 to 1 ruckstell rearend. I realize the 3.0 gear is plenty tall for a stocker but don't believe that is the problem. I take off in ruckstell low, and tranny low, shift tranny to high, it picks up speed then justs flattens out and almost drops off speed. Have checked float level, points, timing, oil level, fresh gas, plugs, tire pressures, brakes, bands, and wind speed! And changed the coil.

Is 6 volt still. It seems to be better at times, but never really seems to run strong. On drives it will run in high ruckstell but look out for any hills! I have had 3 different long time T owners drive it and say it is very sluggish but no real answers. I don't think the engine has very many miles on it at all. Would love to hear any ideas. I am quite familiar with old cars, I own many, including a 29 A tudor and a bunch of 27 and earlier Dodge Brothers so I realize it only has 20 hp but it just is not quite right.

Thanks

I have a 1912 Model T roadster. I recently had some trouble with running at higher speeds. It started and idled OK, but would die when I tried to get it going. Turned out to be fuel flow issues. Some sludge was only allowing a trickle of gas through the sediment bulb petcock. You might also check compression. The valves may be in good condition, but if not properly timed, you will not get much power.

Please let me know when you get it running correctly.

Do all the obvious checks, compression, fuel flow, brakes dragging, muffler plugged & etc. then if all passes I would try to borrow a carb from a good running engine and see how it runs. if still bad check the timing cover plate for concentric alignment. if it uses a communtator.

Have checked all those things, thought about the carb swap and will do it as soon as my buddy gets back from a trip. It has a new distributor instead of timer. The engine is completely rebuilt, has less than 200 miles on it. New radiator, bands, overhauled ruckstell, everything. Pulls well on low end but as soon after you get into high on tranny and still in low on ruckstell it falls on its face. Took the carb off and cleaned out any residue, set the float, checked the needle, everything looks good. JFranklin, you have T's too? I know you have Model A's.

Thanks guys,

You have the same disease as so many of us! I have 2 complete T's, Model A, 2 1927 DB roadsters, 22 DB screenside, 20 DB touring, about 15 DB projects, 40 Ford Tudor, 68 Barracuda coupe, 62 Lancer with 340, 24 DB fenderless Hot rod roadster......

and some I can't remember all the time!

oh yeah, and a Harley, 2 Nortons, AJS, 53 Ambassador motorcycle, etc.

Borrowed a rebuilt carb from a friend, seems like that was it. Runs much stronger. I was not aware of having to drill out the brass plugs and clean the tiny passages. Will go through my carb and then try it again, hopefully that will end the saga.

• 2 weeks later...

Drilled out the plugs in the NH carb. New gaskets, etc. seems to work good now. Switched to 3.63 ruckstell, better low end but of course less top speed (assuming no hills!).

Everything seems dialed in now, except new issue in another post frown.gif

• 3 weeks later...