63 Riviera upholstory color

michel88

I want to order new front seat upholstory from Clarks Corvair for my 63 Riviera and I need some help. I need to know what color to order. Is it shown on the data plate on the firewall? The upholstory is a medium blue vinyl. There is a series of codes on the bottom row of the data plate: CC 57 16 N2 Z4. Does this specify what color the interior is? Has anyone replaced their upholstory with the Clarks kits? Are you satisfied with them? Thanks for any help you can give me.

Woody,

Your trim code should be a 3 digit number on the firewall plate, for 63 blue all vinyl it should be 716. Be sure you have vinyl and not leather, offered only in 63, the colors are different. I used Clark's seat upholstery, front seat buns, carpet, and trunk trim, all were excellent quality. I had cloth and vinyl trim and the covers were almost an exact match to the originals. Before you order anything have them send you free samples, then match them to a hidden piece of trim so you are sure of what you are ordering. They are great to work with and stand behind all their products.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: michel88</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks Don, I do see 716 on the firewall data plate. It is a vinyl material. I will follow your advice and have them send me free samples. </div></div>

If you want to post or e-mail me a photo of your data plate (up close and clear) I will decode it all for you.

I contacted Clarks Corvair and have received the upholstory sample and it looks like a good match. I am going to order Monday, both front bucket seats upholstory and new seat buns. Can anyone decode the data plate for me. I posted a picture of it in my last post. Thanks!

Woody,

Be aware on one thing; and there will be instructions with the seat buns. You will need to do some modifications to them to make them work correctly with the new covers. Calvin explains what needs to be done in the instructions.

This data plate indicates what if any modifications Fisher needed to do to a basic body to accept certain options. Most of these options are behind the firewall and the data plate does not include options that could be attached using different wiring harnesses, etc - like tilt column, cornering lights, choice of tires, or wheel covers.

Your data plate decodes as follows:

63 - 1963

4747 - Riviera

03C - C= third week of 03=March

FB 25954 = sequential production number out of 40,000

716J2 - blue vinyl seats

CC - Artice white paint

D - Radio - The code only told the workers to prepare the body for a radio and speaker but not which radio, there were at least three choices, perhaps more.

S7 - Remote control outside rear view mirror

I6 - Soft-ray tinted glass

N2 - Air conditioner

Z4 - automatic trunk release.

Your car was produced late enough in the production year, it should have the 140 mph speedometer, the aluminum verneer on the dash, but it might be close to the change for the spare tire placement. Jim Cannon would like to know if the spare tire is on the floor of the trunk or under the package tray.

Hope this helps. Send pictures when you get your new seats installed.

Ed

Ed, thanks a lot for the information from the data plate. The Riv does have the options called out on the data plate. It has the 140 mph speedometer with the aluminum veneer, and the spare is mounted under the package tray. I will post some pictures of the car, and the seats with the new upholstory installed.

Hi, Woody!

Now you've got my attention! Spare up on the shelf, eh? Is there any evidence of the spare hold down loop in the trunk floor on the passenger side? If not, this is the earliest '63 Riv I have found with the spare up on the shelf.

When you look into the side view mirror, do you seem to look through the main window glass or through the vent window?

Hi Jim,

I just looked at the car and it has a long bolt to mount the spare on the raised shelf under the package tray. I am missing the hardware to mount the tire there and it is sitting on the floor with a cover on it. I looked underneath and I don't see any hold down loop. The remote control mirror on the drivers door is mounted very close to the front of the door, so you are looking through the vent window when you look at it. My car also has a power drivers seat and power antenna.

• 2 weeks later...

I received the upholstory kits for the two front bucket seats as well as new seat buns from Clarks and the quality and color match is great. When I went to remove the seats the passenger side came out quite easily. It is easier to move the seat all the way forward to access the bolts. When it came to the driver side, which is a power seat, I found the seat would not move so I could not move it forward. The electric motor runs but the seat stays put. With a lot of difficulty I was able to remove the seat. Can anyone tell me what could be wrong and if parts are available to repair it?

Fefore you go to replacing any parts, thoroughly clean the screw part of the mechanism as well as the tracks and rails. If the motor runs but the seat won't move, it's probably in the transmission. You'll be surprised what a good cleaning will do them. They've probably never been cleaned before and 45 years of gunk is a lot. If the car had one driver who used the same seat position, the electric part of the seat never got used and collected a lot of dust and dirt on the lubricant.

Ed

Thanks for the info Ed. I have had the car almost 20 years and when I first got it the power seat worked and I set it where I like it. I never tried to move it again until a few days ago when I wanted to take the seat out. I will try cleaning things up!

Many Moons ago, when I had a company car and my daughter needed a car to get her to summer school, I let her drive my '63. She was much shorter than I am and she needed to adjust the seat when she drove it. I think that using the seat is what kept it working. Same goes with power windows. If you have kids and they play with the windows in the back seat, they're much more likely not to "stick" shut and then not work when you want them. I think that's the problem I have with my '64 now. The rears were never used and now they're stuck. With just the swtich on and the door open, my courtesy lights will dim when I hit the window switch, therefore I know the switch is good and the 12V is trying to make something work. I just hate the thought of digging all those tracks, and regualtors, and the motor out of that space.

Ed

Woody,

In addition to the cleaning make sure that the flex drive coupling is making full contact, it may have slipped off the driveshaft. Another suggestion, I added a separate ground wire from under the dash to the seat frame where the motor attaches, a less than perfect ground will slow the motor down.

Ed,

One of my back windows did not work when I got the car. I took off the trim panels and access cover and oiled the tracks, then "helped" the window by pushing while hitting the switch. Without the friction from the trim it started working and with a little more oiling it now works fine.

• 2 years later...