Young kids and old cars. Please share your photos, old or new.

Shop Rat

Wayne posted these instructions above for Paul. See if they help.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">after you "add files", then click "done adding files", you will see your picture attachment address above the text box.

At that time, you can preview your text, but the attachment will not show up as a picture in your preview box.

Maybe, you didn't click on "done adding files"?

Wayne</div></div>

Guest chopprjok

Hey Guys,

Here is my contribution, daughter 8 and son 4 taken last summer with our 22 Dodge Brothers Speedster. My daughter is the owner of the vehicle. Just ask her and she will tell you that no matter what she owns the controlling interest in the vehicle. Has come in handy a few times when Momma thought it might be time to get rid of the old car. I told her to go negotiate with her daughter. She never wins when she negotiates with her daughter. HAHAHAHA!!

Honestly I have had the car for 13 years and it is a member of the family.

Chop

kid_pic_road.jpg

Guest chopprjok

Guys in my opinion, spending time with the kids and old cars is just "Quality Time", to steal a phrase from the younger generation. My dad did it with me, and now I do it with my kids. It sure is better for them, than sitting in front of some video game.

Guest wk's_olds

INDEED! And, the building of memories........My parents lived next door to a wonderful lady who had no children, and she would "borrow" me from my Mom sometimes and take me shopping (and treats)with her in her 1941 Buick. She loved her Buicks, and she made a believer of me! At the age of 12, I convinced my Dad to buy a Buick. He did, and it was one of the best autos her ever owned. It was a nice 1941, too. later in life, I became an avid Buick collector, and I owned about 150 old Buicks ranging in years from 1929 to 1958. I had a '31 coupe for 37 years. I sold all my old Buicks (except the '31) in 1986 when I moved to California from Indiana. I sold the '31 in '01 when we moved her to Wyoming. We have a nice '51 Olds now. Just gotta have an old car! Now we make memories with our grandkids!!

I've been known to give people rides in my 26 simply because I felt like it. I'll give some young person or a neighbor a short ride in my old car and they'll talk about it for weeks.

I still remember the first time I let my son drive it. He thought I was crazy, which I am but that's another topic. He's refused to drive it since for reasons unknown to me but he still smiles when he tells someone he actually drove an 80 year old car.

Not much more in life a person can ask for then to put a smile on someones face. Sometimes the best smiles are those that don't cost a cent. grin.gif

• 3 weeks later...

A post from:

Steve Braverman

Cutchogue - Long Island, NY

"I just returned from a two-week vacation in the Franklin with my family. First we attended the Franklin Trek in Cazenovia, NY. Then we visited some friends in Saratoga Springs and Argyle, NY, took a quick side trip to Vermont, then attended the AACA Eastern Divisional Tour to the Berkshires in Massachusetts.

We covered 1,200 miles without a mechanical incident, unless you count a flat tire.

People who say you can't drive long distances in an old car are really missing out. My Franklin is all original, including the engine. It's old and tired, but it keeps going. <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="color: #FF0000">My two-year-old daughter Julia</span></span> loves playing in the back seat."

braverman_picture_1.jpg

braverman_picture_2.jpg

"Gee Pop, can't some of this luggage go up there with you and Mom?" laugh.gif

braverman_picture_3.jpg

braverman_picture_4.jpg

Wayne,

Thanks for copying my post here. I didn't think to put it here, but it's appropriate.

To add some more, I notice there is another picture of a kid in a Sears besides mine. My dad brings his Sears to the Franklin Trek (It's open to all air-cooled cars pre-WWII). I give all the kids rides in it, and it's like an amusement park ride to them. We had about 38 kids at the Trek this year, but my daughter was the only kid on the AACA tour. I thought this very strange for a tour in August.

Also, the picture of Don Kitchen's 1929 Franklin is a fond memory for me. Don let me drive this car around Cazenovia, NY when I was a teenager. I have not seen Don in many years, but he is truly an ambassador to young people.

post-48034-143137996247_thumb.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> We had about 38 kids at the Trek this year, but my daughter was the only kid on the AACA tour.</div></div>

Thanks for adding to this subject Steve. Yes, I've noticed that there are not a lot of kids on show fields, but tours are ideal for the young-ens to enjoy time with their "grandparents", in most cases, as our club is filled with older members. We just have to continue to tell members that kids can actually add to the enjoyment of a tour. After all, we've already <span style="font-weight: bold">endured</span> all of the jokes that us older ones know! crazy.gifgrin.gif

Wayne

Guest Johnpaul Ragusa
A post from:

Steve Braverman

Cutchogue - Long Island, NY

People who say you can't drive long distances in an old car are really missing out. My Franklin is all original, including the engine. It's old and tired, but it keeps going. <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="color: #FF0000">My two-year-old daughter Julia</span></span> loves playing in the back seat."

You said it. A sold my 58 Chrsyler T&C Wagon to a guy from Australia. He flew into NY and got the car and drove clear across the country. 5000 miles in a car I didnt put 500 miles on. I have to tell you I tipped my hat to him. I don't have the mechanical knowledge to fix my problems and woudl be at the mercy of auto repair shops. This guy had a few breakdowns (nothing major) and just hopped out, fixed it, and went on his merry way.

Clif, if you are reading this down under - You are the man!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: West Peterson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm 6 at the time this was taken. Now I'm... not 6 any more... </div></div>

West, you don't seem to be so happy in the photo shocked.gif

Here's my son Jesse at the age of three couple of years back.

post-32820-143137996674_thumb.jpg

Guest 53Bob76R

Part of the fun in having your kids involved in the hobby is watching them take an interest on their own. This may be the only "recorded" incident in history of a "Cozy Coupe" being up in the air for service!!

post-52745-143137996759_thumb.jpg

Guest Dave Wyatt

After a succesful Jr Dragster stint, Mike finally turned 16 and got his license. So it was only natural that I started him out racing in the High School class, in my 4 speed 4-4-2. It had some kind of effect on him, as he prefers older cars to this day.

442win.jpg

And now, he has his own old car project.

FairlanePT.jpg

Guest mmuehlba

some pics I save for a while .when it went to auction I thought I would have a chance since it was a local auction , well it went for over $13,000 . At least I was there and got some pics . it was a very early Rambler from Kenosha WI . The right hand drive made me think it was from across the pond . They said it was always in the family and they took off the steel wheels for the steel needed in the war effort . Mike

NashCar2.jpg

RamberSide.jpg

RamblerFront.jpg

RamblerInterior.jpg

RamblerSteering.jpg

RamblerBackSeat.jpg

RamberSeats.jpg

Guest wk's_olds

Here's 4 pix:

My granddaughter helping in restoring the '61 Dynamic 88 a couple of years ago...........

HPIM1144.jpg

Some kids enjoying a little ride in my '51 Olds:

HPIM16962.jpgThe town parade taken earlier this month:

HPIM2256.jpg

HPIM2259-1.jpg

Guest wk's_olds

Here's an oldie! My Dad was standing on the runningboard of this old (probably Ford) touring car at approximately age 10. That would have been about 1920. Towards the front is his brother. I cannot identify those seated in the rear. Dad passed away in 2003 at age 94.

dadyoung.jpg

Guest wk's_olds

Then and now! These photos were taken 54 years apart. The one on the left was taken in 1954 (we married in '56) and the one on the right was taken last month by our 42 year old daughter. That's our beautiful '51 Olds 98 sedan we're crouching behind.

poobienanna54copy.jpg

Guest ChopShopCustoms

Here is my son when he was younger- we used to change his diaper in the trunk when he was a baby and he used to nap in there at car shows (with it OPEN of course)

trunk03.jpg

...LOL

Guest Skyking

These first 2 photos are of my son Dennis and his first car at 12 years old, taken in 1979. We paid $50.00 for it. The third photo is his two boys, my grandsons, Kaden 9 and Keith 10. Dennis is reaching in the back seat for something......same car, 29 years later.

scan0001-1.jpg

scan-2.jpg

IMG_0502.jpg

Guest Leonard Shepherd

My ex-wife's eccentric uncle went to England and brought home a 56 Rolls Royce. He lived in this little shack. That is my sister's son standing beside the car.

post-52673-143137998132_thumb.jpg

Guest wk's_olds

Great pic! Daddy's helper! I had some helpers back when too; mine were girls.....had 4 daughters. Here's 3 of them at a very young age standing in front of my very first total rebuild-a '55 Buick Special. It was green and white, but I changed the colors after I replaced the smashed front end. I re-did all the upholstery, too, in red and white with a red/gold metalflake dash! When my daughters got a bit older, they were always helping me work on cars, as was my wife, too! She still does, and she's 70! I guess it keeps us young!

1962.jpg