Question about how the '95 handles in ice and snow

Franklin

I've owned my 95 since 2000, but always in Florida. As I am moving to the NYC area, I wonder what similar car owners do for winter driving? Snow tires of some sort? Add weight to the trunk? Any advice would be most welcome.

Just drive it, you do not need any special tires. The NYC area is not known for a whole lot of snow anyway. (That all depends on what you mean by NYC area).

Weight in the trunk really would not help a front wheel drive car.

stevo

Guest rlbleeker

They do really well in the snow/ice. I keep a set of cable chains in the trunk, but I've never had to use them.

We used our 95 for 4 years in the snows of Albany NY. I always felt comfortable on plowed roads. I would not take it on unplowed roads or through deep standing water. Note the owners manual says to avoid deep water because the air intake for the engine is down low just in front of the drivers side tire, and splashing water can get sucked into the plenum.

Anyway, various areas of NY get different types of snow. NYC is usually slushy stuff. Akin to water splashing ( see warning above). Usually in our area we get a wet thick blanket of snow which packs fast into a icy road surface. While the roads are often cleaned well, there is occasional ice. And while the car is sure footed in the snow and snowpack, any car ( including 4 wheel drive) is dangerous on the ice.

While some may frown on this practice, I have often slipped the car into neutral when I was approaching intersections which looked like ice or were at the bottom of steep hills. removing the power from the wheels lets you control the car better. But I believe you'll find NYC roads are little challenge for you.

ps: I've lived in many parts of NY, from Westchester to Rochester, and to date I have never felt the need to buy snow tires on any of my cars although I do run all season Radials all the time.