Whassup with my Traffic Thread?

Let's play <span style="font-style: italic">bawl</span>...what does <span style="font-style: italic">this</span> have to do with old cars?

http://forums.aaca.org/ubbthreads.php/topics/519757/Crash_test_compilations.html#Post519757

If the Shore Patrol is bent on purifying these Forums, how about the one above with a "Throw another Corolla on the fire" Roman Colliseum crash-'em-up theme?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">To see and hear this beautiful engine run just go to

Now makes 410 HP (originally 200 HP) and 1150 ft lbs out of 492 CI. Pretty damn respectable for a 70+ year old engine. In fact 1150 ft lbs from any gasoline engine of less than 1,000 ci is amazing even by todays standards.

To see a video about the car's construction go to

The car is featured at page 60 of the July 2008 issue of Hot Rod magazine in a spread of "Dare to Be Different" rods.

</div></div>

But it's kosher to extoll the virtues, above, of a Marmon V-16-powered ersatz Ford <span style="font-style: italic">Hot Rod</span>, right? What gives?

As one who began in this hobby at age 10 with a visit to Harrah's Collection in 1968, I don't need to be told what is or isn't appropriate for discussion. On this forum I've helped innumerable folks peg the year of their car, provided VIN info, specs, etc., and <span style="font-style: italic">never</span> had a post removed. (I also do my bit to get youngsters involved in the hobby thru the CHIPS Programs of the AACA Hornet's Nest Region).

My traffic query was quite innocuous and just as relevant as dreaming about hydrogen widgets to improve mileage,

something that's been going on in one form or another since the dawn of automobiledom.

Frankly, I'm going to be quite miffed if it isn't returned and I continue to see other posts completely unrelated to our mission left untouched.

TG

P.S. Most Forums have an area to discuss "unrelated topics," so how about it? Weather, birthdays, new-car mileage, etc. could go there. First though, let's get the Photo Gallery operative again. blush.gif

There used to be a Misc. Chat section and it died an unceremonious death because it often got...<span style="font-style: italic">contentious</span> down there in the basement.

I agree that the removal/editing of posts is usually a subjective thing, but the moderators here do a pretty good job of keeping us on an even keel. A lot of things get through that maybe shouldn't, but they're on top of it 9 times out of 10. Name calling is #1 on their list, and unfortunately, it does happen.

However, I was surprised to see Bill Stoneberg's post with the link to DeLorenzo' editorial at autoextremist.com get removed yesterday. It was relevant, as it was talking about the future of the auto industry (which is what autoextremist.com is all about). Did someone get into name calling after the first few posts? Was there a heated discussion after I left? I don't know. But I have to believe it wasn't removed due to subject matter.

We have to remember that the AACA owns this board. It isn't subject to the 1st Amendment and free speech doesn't apply. It represents the online face of the AACA, and the mods have to do what they do to preserve the AACA's reputation and purpose. Although I don't always agree with them, I respect it because overall, this is by far the best old car site on the Net. Personally, I get a great deal from it, despite a handful of deleted threads.

Anyway, just my (inflation adjusted) $0.02.

Thanks, Matt. I am not sure what happened with Bill's post either! I think I introduced the forum to Autoextremist as Peter is always thought provoking. I have disagreed with him strongly in the past but he is very bright and insightful.

We are noticing that the forum is starting to get back to the rants mode again and that just can not be allowed.

Thanks to all of you who understand...begrudgingly at times! grin.gif

Thanks for putting my traffic post back up, and I concur with all said by Matt and Steve; the mods have a thankless job to do, but there's no reason to rant about stuff over which we have no control.

A perceptible decrease in traffic patterns makes more room for my '57 Buick on the nation's highways & byways. wink.gif

Regards,

TG