Intake Manifold Leak

Guest wayne2reattas

Guest wayne2reattas

My 89 has a small intake manifold leak. I really don't have the time right now to do the intake manifold gasket. Also I drive it very little. I drive my '88 everyday. Do any of the additives that 'claim' to stop intake manifold leaks work?

uhm... NO, additives are not good way to go. If an additive truely stopped a leak think of what it would do to the inside of your engine. Now if you needed a quick/emergency fix they can do, but I would always flush out what ever system you used it in.

Daniel, while I am not a big fan of additives, I am not sure that your argument is a fair one as to the intake gasket. Those additives that purport to seal a metal head gasket may indeed have the potential to also seal up a very seriously blocked oil passageway, though I believe they are formulated to harden only under the very high temperatures found at or near the combustion chamber. Those additives designed to seal other leaks are generally designed to swell porous gaskets. Whether they will work on Wayne's intake depends on a number of things, mainly how compromised the gasket is, but I think there is litte chance of harm to the engine from them.

Guest F14CRAZY

The intake manifold gaskets aren't too difficult on an LN3. I suppose you can try an additive like alumaseal (which has worked for me before on other engines) in a pinch but you should still get to replacing the gaskets as soon as you can.

3800s do not suffer from failed head gaskets, like EVER. The Series II commonly had bad lower intake manifold gaskets but that was due to Dexcool

Guest F14CRAZY

Bonneville Club .com (before they got a new owner and everyone, including the admin, jumped ship and made a new site) has thousands of owners and their discussion is entirely on 3800s which is why I hang out there a bit. Except for extreme modification (like the dude that's running a supercharger AND a turbocharger, with an intercooler) they've NEVER had a bad head gasket