Old car parts

old car fan

I dunno guys, not sure the sky is falling just yet. We just added another Model A to the neighborhood, making 5 within a two mile radius all owners under 55 (showing interest is there for folks in the 35-55 brackett, who are buying a lot of cars.). Brass ownership and interest is on an upswing, the Model T is getting great publicity this anniversary year. The new magazine Pre War Auto notes seems to be off to a good start, got my 3rd issue today, and look at prices of cars and good parts on eBay, which like it or not, is now the best place to source parts for just about any collectible.

Hobby is changing a bit, but I came to the conclusion that rather than concern myself with modifieds vs. restored, etc. I just pursue what interests me the most. The cream tends to rise to the top anyway, right?

Most of the parts are in the garages & barns of hobby members. When they move or pass on they are sold to others, the good stuff goes on eBay, iron gets scraped, and the eBay non sellers go to Hershey. I personally don't know anyone doing a Pre War restoration at this time, but they are out there.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1937hd45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Most of the parts are in the garages & barns of hobby members. When they move or pass on they are sold to others, the good stuff goes on eBay, iron gets scraped, and the eBay non sellers go to Hershey. I personally don't know anyone doing a Pre War restoration at this time, but they are out there. </div></div>

Bob, I'm across the road from you at Hershey, and I'm doing a Pre-War restoration. So you know me, sort of. I'm also under the age of 35 (barely).

Friends of mine that are my age and are car guys are starting to get interested in early cars due to my influence and hounding. The market is making cars of the 20s and 30s easier to afford than stuff from the 50s and 60s.

The key is exposure, guys. The more these great cars (like John's incredible Buick!!!) are seen on the road, the more interest there will be, especially when Joe Prospect finds out how affordable these cars can be. I know from his prior posts what Steve B. stole, er bought his Franklin sedan for - a great example. There are many very affordable drivers/projects and even restored pre war cars out there. I think this is actually very good for the hobby in the long run.

A ride will clinch it, as the feel is totally different even from many postwar collector cars.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1937hd45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Most of the parts are in the garages & barns of hobby members. </div></div>

<span style="color: #3333FF">Guilty. I have a couple HUGE vintage Westinghouse Coca Cola chest type coolers in the garage, FULL of Pontiac parts. Even a 1966 Tri-Power rebuilt & ready, sits inside a gutted 1962 gas pump. </span>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Steve_Mack_CT</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I know from his prior posts what Steve B. stole, er bought his Franklin sedan for - a great example.</div></div>

I resemble that remark! laugh.gif

Actually, my car was for sale for quite some time before I bought it for the full advertised price.

post-48034-143137990554_thumb.jpg

Tim,

I recently bought my 28 Pierce Arrow and have just started working on it and looking for parts. I seriously considered buying two similar non-running cars for parts but missed both of them due to hesitation, so there is plenty of interest out there. I agree that hobbyists (and maybe dealers) are sitting on a good chunk of the parts supply partly for their own use and partly as an investment. I have started advertising for parts with this forum and with the PAS, trying to establish some contacts and build some trust. I think some people who have cars and parts to sell want to be sure they will be used for restoration rather than resold quickly to make a buck.

This is my first prewar car after almost 40 years of just about everything else. I always wanted a classic but they were always too expensive. Part of the change is that our perception of car values in general has changed - $20,000 for a new Honda Civic would have seemed ridiculous ten years ago but today we accept it as normal. Seeing the prices for closed prewar cars today compared to crazy muscle car prices makes them seem like a real bargain to those who are aware of what they are. My goal is to make my Pierce driveable and dependable and to use it as much as I can. The vast majority of the population NEVER see a prewar car on the street unless its a Hotrod.