Sign in to follow this  
50silverstreak

Spedometer Question

My 50 Pontiac seems to read about 10 miles less on the spedometer than my actual speed. When I get past ~70 mph on the gauge the needle starts jumping around and floating back and forth. Anyone have any experience with this?

I have the correct size tiresa dn stock rims. I had bias ply, now radial. always done the same thing. Is there a way to calibrate this or is the gauge just off and need to be replaced.

Thanks!

Christopher,

I posted a reply to your thread in the Pontiac/Oakland section regarding the model designations and answering your electrical question.

It wasn't uncommon for speedometers to have quite a bit of error years ago, although some of them can be "right on".

You need to disconnect the speedometer cable housing from the back of the speedometer, then pull out the cable and inspect it for damage. Assuming it's OK, clean it thoroughly and lube it with a relatively light grease, good quality wheel bearing grease will work also. You also need to put 2 or 3 drops of light oil, (3 in 1) on the brass "recepticle" that the speedo cable slips into on the back of the speedometer. Roll the "recepticle" back and forth to work the oil into the bearing; you might also try moving it in and out to work the oil in. Don't use more than a few drops of oil at any time, but you may have to do this more than once to get the speedometer head lubricated. I've had to do mine every other year to keep the speedo working smoothly.

Pete

(Posted also in Pontiac/Oakland thread) Thanks so much Pete. This is the most information I have received concerning this car. I have spent a lot of time on line researching with little success. I may have been looking for the wrong thing in the wrong place but it seems that there is not too much out there on these Pontiacs.

I will look for the style number to get some answers.

1)Can you explain the difference between the business coupe and sedan coupe, standadrd and deluxe trim packages?

2)Concerning replacement parts and chrome trim pieces; are these interchangeable between styles,trim packages, and chieftain/streamliner?(excluding the difference in rear design, could you swap trim for the front of the car, etc.)

3)Are 49 and 50 the same models in respect to parts and accessories?

I just turned 30 this year but cars have been a passion since I was old enough to drive. There is so much style in in this generation of cars that is missing in todays cars. My first car was a 72 Olds cutlass I got in 1992 with 32,000 miles that was my great grandparents. This was stolen when I went off to college.

Now I have returned to own an era of cars I have always loved, though I am learning that there is a lot to having a sixty year old car. I have a 2-door chieftain, front and back seat, am radio, cig lighter, vents, under seat heater, defroster. This sounds like maybe the sedan coupe?

Thanks,

Christopher

Hi Christopher,

The business coupe and sedan coupe are the same body, the difference being that the business coupe doesn't have a rear seat. These coupes have a shorter roof than a 2 door sedan, easily noted by comparing the rear side windows.

The standard trim level lacks the stainless steel rub strips along the body, the gravel guards on the rear fenders are rubber, not stainless; and matching body color headlight trim rings, not chrome. They were also shipped with small hub caps, not full wheel covers. The interior trim was more basic and usually only available in shades of grey that would compliment any exterior body color.

There is a fair amount of interchangeability on trim parts, bear in mind that the deluxe body side moldings were unique to each model year even though the bodies might be the same.

The '49 through '52 models are very closely related, the Streamliner models were produced through the end of '51. In my opinion, the most significant change came in '52 with the advent of the Dual-Range Hydra-Matic. The "city" range kept the trans from shifting into 4th gear under normal driving conditions and gave much better performance around town and also on the highway in hilly country.

Pete