Shipping a car from Ca.

I am currently trying to secure transportation for a car I just bought in Northern California. Ebay "recommends" four different carriers. Has anybody had good or bad experiences with:

Fed Ex

Dependable Auto Transport

Express Auto Transport

The fourth was way too low, so I imagine they don't know what they are doing, or they are going to upcharge me on everything.

Sorry dudes, you're gonna have to wait to find out what it is. cool.gif

Thanks,

Mike

Guest imported_MrEarl

Yea man, what kind of car. We need to know that in order to knowledgeably advise you of who to use. grin.gif

Actually it does matter. One guy that came to pick up Irene, his eyes nearly popped out of his head when he saw how long she was and started making excuses why he copuldn't load her and refused her.

I have used Dependable before without any problem. they scuffed up a whitewall beyond cleaning and gave me a credit that I couud use in the future which has never happened. I also have the name of an individual that makes routine trips down 85 from NJ to 10 and then west to Southern CA. He's about the most reasonable I've found. I can look for it if you need it. (this is the guy that was detainied in New Mexico for 3-4 days when the dogs found some MaryJane in one of the cars)

At least tell us...IS IT A BUICK

Guest imported_MrEarl

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: buick5563</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: buick5563</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

</div></div>

Y'all are like kids at Christmas.

I didn't want to jinx it. Yes it's a Buick. However, it isn't a 54... laugh.gif

Mike </div></div>

US !!!

WHO'S HAVIN CHRISTMAS IN JULY HERE??? smirk.gifwink.gif

OK so what decade then?....

Stevo just had to pick the present up and shake it around to see what it sounded like! laugh.gif

Yep. I'm calling Dependable, it should be here by the time I get back from the Nationals. The good thing for me is that I'm hauling the Wildcat to Flint behind a Dodge dually with my fuel paid for both ways. More on that in Texas Road Warriors part four thread to be started soon...

Guest imported_MrEarl

Yea right...if you hadn't wanted us to figure it out you'd at least started it off with "If my neighbor had just bought a car in California and wanted to have it delivered to Texss blah blah blah.

I wached that car but didn't pay attention to who the last bidder was. Looks like a great deal on a car that will be quite valuable when finished. Congratulations!!! smile.gif

Try this guys, they are in your home state. I am using them to ship my Buick from WI to WA and several other V8 Buick members have used them with great results. Pricing was very reasonable. Ask for Kevin and tell them you are a Buick Friend of James Weinman and Chris Pollak.

Kevin Kandal

Sales Executive

Advanced Auto Shipping

(866) 591-1797 - Toll Free

(469) 424-2864 - Direct

(469) 424-2886 - Fax

http://www.advancedautoship.com/

• 2 weeks later...
Guest imported_Thriller

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: buick5563</div><div class="ubbcode-body">"May the wind always be at your back, and the sun always on the passengers side"</div></div>

I love that.

I'll be looking forward to the photos. Congrats on the purchase. I hope it is everything you hope...my experience buying cars at a distance on eBay hasn't been the greatest.

Today, I got to see two new (to me) Buicks, one of which was shipped to me from Ohio (thanks Matt). I paid for the one, then the other was dropped off at my mechanic's so I got a phone call. Pics and details to follow.

OK,

Don't start hitting me up for money or anything (I'm not Mr. Moneybags) but this is the fourth car I have bought on ebay (one was a work related parts car). I guess I am lucky. Everybody I have dealt with has been pretty honest. As with anything on ebay- let the buyer beware. I guess I also set realistic expectations. I knew my Wildcat was a #4 car when I bought it. Unfortunately my wife didn't know what a #4 car looked like. SHE was woefully unimpressed. It was a running, driving convertible that cost $4k, what could I honestly expect?

That being said, I'm waiting for inspections for Ca. title transfer stuff. I have the shipper on hold. I could be anxious or snippy since this is technically not my fault, but why? I don't have the dough to get started on a restoration now, I will be in Flint when it would arrive (if shipped now), and better to let the paperwork get done by the seller than by me. I suppose I will find out if the car is worse than described, but as you would all guess, I will be doing a full resto anyway so if the engine doesn't run the way he says, or all the new chrome was done badly I will chalk it up to the cost of the hobby. At least this car will be worth more when finished than any of the other cars I have gotten in the past.

See you guys at "breakfast"!

Mike

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: serb</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There is always the possibility of something going wrong and a scuff or scratch showing up. If they scratch it, just hope that it is in an area where it won't be noticed.

Ha, Ha!

Stevo </div></div>

One other note. All of the parts are loaded in the car and ready to go, but he said he blew some paint off when he hosed the car off, should I ask for compensation? grin.gif

Mike

• 4 weeks later...

Ok,

I will not slam anybody directly here due to forum rules, but a company named above left me hangin' for a month. They were "let go". I should have called Dependable in the first place. (I will see the car in another two weeks if I am lucky). I feel very fortunate the guy I bought it from didn't care, or at least hasn't yet. Just keeping interested parties in the loop.

Mike

• 4 weeks later...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MrEarl</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: buick5563</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: buick5563</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

</div></div>

Y'all are like kids at Christmas.

I didn't want to jinx it. Yes it's a Buick. However, it isn't a 54... laugh.gif

Mike </div></div>

US !!!

WHO'S HAVIN CHRISTMAS IN JULY HERE??? smirk.gifwink.gif

OK so what decade then?.... </div></div>

Xmas in July?????

Still waiting.....

I'm still not ready for the car, but it hasn't even been picked up yet.

Dontcha love this hobby?

Mike

If you're looking for information on vehicle transport companies, look here first: http://www.transportreviews.com/ This website lists the trucking companies, the experiences of past shipments, origin and destination, price, and the users experience. It also has a world of information on transporting cars. Most reputable companies will even provide a checklist you should follow. Compare checklists to learn what questions to ask to keep from getting ripped off. Most of all, ASK how the process works. Good places will tell you exactly what happens, and even their exact profit on the deal. It can be a little legwork, but shipping need not be a nightmare.

Well, live and learn.

Like I said before, my house is in a shambles, gutted actually. My contractor had personal issues and had to leave town for two weeks. Therefore my garage has a bunch of drywall and other supplies in it, so between y'all and me. I don't really need it now anyway. Of course, I didn't tell them that! It's just frustrating when people say they're gonna do something and they don't.

This is the first time I have ever been burned on shipping. I'll just have to wait, I'm sure not starting this process over again.

Mike

In an odd turn of events, I discovered that the car is in transit.

It seems that the fella I bought the car from emailed me through ebay. I hadn't thought to check there and apparently he lost my phone number.

I still can't figure out why nobody at the shipping company could answer any doggone questions. Perhaps my colorful language didn't help. Online tracking is a joke with these Bozos since it still says "scheduled for pickup".

I suppose pics are gonna be posted soon!

Mike

Guest imported_MrEarl

Mike, if it's true that misery loves company, then know that I too had some bad luck with a certain transport company that just delivered my new little Blue Bird Special. All I'll say until I learn whether or not the insurance covers is that it involved lots of poor communication, a very young driver,(20 maybe), a couple of jacks, some boards, a comalong and a convenient pine tree.

• 2 years later...

When I shipped my car to L.A. I used this website to gather some info on car shipping.

Car Shipping :: Vehicle Shipping Companies, Quotes, Services, Reviews

After getting some knowledge about the services, shipping insurance and other stuff, I chose a shipping company. Maybe this guide will be useful for some people needing transporting services.

cheers, toby