Torque settings for engine bolts

Guest 1937RHDNZ

Guest 1937RHDNZ

Hi again.

I am doing some minor maintenance around the manifold area after replacing the frost plugs. I have a 1937 original shop manual (so much better than a photo copy version) & I have been flicking through the book looking for the bolt tightening torque wrench settings, I don't know if it's just me, but I can't find any. I'm looking at this particular time, for the manifold bolts torque. I have just had the manifolds machined so that they are dead flat and straight. I realise what they are likely to be, but I would like to see somewhere what the factory specifications were for the engine. I have shop manuals for other cars and the torque setting, usually in ft/lbs are always quoted at the end of each section.

So the question is: Is there a Buick factory produced list of torque settings for various bolts in the engine, and if so can I please have a copy. Guesstimates I can arrive at myself, so please any answers must be from factory produced data.

Cheers Neil

My 1942 Shop manual (pg 15-5 at the back) list manifold studs at 25-30 ft lbs. 1937 may be different. Will send you a copy of the page by email

Be gentle. Buick exhaust manifolds crack very easily

Also, be sure to work from the center out in very incremental steps, sneaking up on the final torque spec. Do the '37s use the copper rings in the head to seal or a gasket or both? That can make a difference, as a gasket might need re-torquing after a few heat cycles.

Good luck!

Guest 1937RHDNZ

Yes Matt the 37's use split steel rings on the 4 inlet ports as well as the gasket. I will need to reduce the width of my rings to make up for the manifold face machining, which skimmed off about 80 thou. The manifolds were machined as a pair, 1939_Buick has also sent me some options for fitting the manifolds to the head, which were helpfull. The suggested torque of 25 to 30ft/lbs, 30ft/lbs seems to me to be reasonably high, mind you the manifold studs are 3/8. I think I will personally arrive at a final torque at the lower end of the range.

Thanks

If anyone still has factory tightening specs relating directly to the 1937 engine then I would still be interested.