Whiirrrring / woooing noise from rear.......

Roadster90

Little car must be starved for attention - was neglected by its previous owner I guess -it keeps acting up and I keep feeding it new parts. At any rate, 100 today (hot for Richmond) and early it developed an irratic whiring type noise in the rear and hasn't stopped (11:00) yet. Only thing I can think is the fuel pump - anyone have any ideas? Should I get tow insurance?

Guest EDBS0

As typical male I use the 1/4 tank gauge and run the tank almost to nothing I have been advised that this is not a good idea.<P>As strange as it may sound the fuel pump is cooled by the gasoline in a full or partially full tank. When you run below a 1/4 the gasoline might not cool as much and certainly at near empty the fuel pump apparently gets warm and perhaps hot! When you refuel the "cold" gas can thermally shock the pump and cause it to fail. This just might be causing your problem.<P>On the other hand you could be a autochondriac related to hypochondriac nixweiss.gif <P>My 2cts, Robert

Guest wally888

Robert, your pumps are so sensitive!<BR> I finished the tail light lens w/ M's #2. Still think tooth paste, most any thing will clean. Will give it the clear coat treatment to see......<BR> Am heating my CD.<p>[ 07-31-2002: Message edited by: wally888 ]

Guest Greg Ross

The other function in the rear of the car that could produce a similar sound would be the Antenna. When the sound is apparent, either unplug the Antenna relay on the antenna mast or simply touch the motor housing.<P>Just my two cents worth.

I believe you're on the money with the fuel pump . . . On my '88, the original pump was replaced with an aftermarket one (before I bought it) that ran fine but did make the noise described above.