Does your passenger vent close by itself?

Don B.

I've noticed that on my two cars the right passenger, and sometimes the left, close on their own. Then on a '90 I picked up the vent open/close lever was jammed open with a match book.<BR>Does this happen to anyone else?

Yeh, Don. When I had the dash fascia off my 90 to replace the radio, I noticed that the right center vent would either close or full open, particularly when the fan is on high. When I put the facia back, it rubs a little on the wheel so holds it in place. I didn't bother to take the vent out when I had the fascia off to see what the fix would be. Don't imagine it would have been too dificult.

I have the same problem with the far right vent. Ordered a replacement and fitted it, and still have the same problem, so I just figured it was one of those things that they all do. It's pretty annoying, so I'll be watching this space for any potential fixes...

The far right one was doing it in one of my three Reattas. I dissambled it to search for the problem. The only thing that I found was a lack of sufficient friction on the moving parts. Probably from manufacturing tolerances, shrinkage from aging, and possibly wear. I replaced it with one from a Riviera in the junk yard. <P>The two left vents are interchangable with each other, but the right hand vents, though they appear to be the same and have interchangable parts, are of different depts and are not interchangable and neither are most of the parts.

Yep, my 90 does it, too. The far right one. I used to blame my wife, telling her she must have bumped it or something. Then I noticed it did it even when she wasn't in the car.

• 1 month later...