I happened to meet a fellow in a supermarket parking lot this morning who had owned his 1990 since it had 5K on the odometer. He told me that it had been represented to him by the dealer at the time of purchase that the car was a previous daily rental.<P>Were Reattas in fact supplied for this purpose? If so, does anyone have information indicating how many & in which model years, & what was GM's rationale for doing this?

I have a "Hertz Rent-A-Racer" license plate frame for my Judge. Think they got their start renting Shelby GT-350Hs (Black and Gold) so why not ?

My 1990 Driftwood car was delivered to National in Ft Walton Beach FL. 5/11/90.<P>It then was sold about 7 months later with roughly 5,000 by a Houston Buick dealer as a "program" car.<P>That next owner had it for about 9 years and put 65,000 on it before selling.<P>I found the National rental sticker on the drivers door.....no one had ever taken it off in 10 years. I got the rest of the story from Car Fax.

You can rent PT Cruisers at Budget here in Nashville, Corvettes and Porshes in Myrtle Beach. I'm sure someone at some time rented Reattas. (and good for them, shows more taste than rental car companies are usually known for having.)

That program went on when Buick was having a hard time getting Dealers to take all the cars being built. Buick put together a deal with National that sold the cars to National who used them as rentals. The cars were then sold back to Buick who resold them to the dealers at a substantial discount. Buick called them the "Emerald Isle" Reattas because that was the name National used. Buick may have done the same thing with other rental car companies but I never saw anything other than National. Hope that helps.

There was a time that Hertz was selling more used cars than any other dealer. The new car dealers (Ford, Chrysler, and GM) started to complain because of the huge number of cars that Hertz, National, Avis and the other smaller rental car companies were dumping on the market.<P>GM (and probably the other manufacturers) changed their policy... They made it attractive for the rental companies to lease the cars from them. Part of the agreement was the car were to be in service no more than six months or less than 10K miles, then they were returned to the manufacturer.<P>This is when the term "Program Car" became established. Now these cars were returned to several factory "refurbish" locations around the country. If a seat was torn, worn, or burnt, it was replace. The cars were reconditioned to be like new "demonstrators, or factory executive" cars. Because the cars had never been titled to the rental companies, most people did not realise they were buying a rental.<P>The car manufacturers gave them full warranty (of whatever was left) and the dealers purchased them at auction.<P>This program satisfied everyone, the rental car companies got out of the used car business, the new car dealers, got lots of good low mileage used cars.<P>The same thing is going on today with modifications to the numbers, today there are leased vehicles added to the pot.

Must be going on again, every time I come to New Orleans, Avis gives me another new Buick Century. Have had a number of cars recently with 15k-20k miles on them so the program must be different now.<P>Definately GM's car line for people with bad eyes, all of the displays are oversized.