Sign in to follow this  
imported_Badger Guy

Antifreeze leak

I found a puddle of antifreeze, about the size of a coffee cup, under the 67 Olds a month ago. I had a couple of local car shows I wanted to go to, so I was just going to watch the leak to make sure it didn't get worse. It didn't leak again! until a few days ago. Then, samething! No leak until this morning. Never alot, just enough to annoy me. We have a 600 mile trip planned in a couple of weeks so I'm just going to change it out. Iv'e had water pumps go before, but once they started to leak from the weep hole, they didn't quit. The pump only has 4000 miles on it. This ever happen to anyone else?

Tom

Tom, sometimes, depending on the weather, you can have a cold water leak around your hose clamps. The easiest way to find them, assuming they leak every night, is put a piece of white cardboard under the engine, so you can locate it easier. Once an engine warms up, it will not leak fluids in these cases.

Otherwise a mechanic's pressure tester will push the water out quickly if it's an external leak.

Wayne

Whatever the reason for the leak, don't let any cats or dogs around it. Anti freeze tastes sweet and your pets will lap it up. As little as 2 tablespoons will destroy their kidneys resulting in a slow death. There is a safer anti freeze available that is not near as deadly. It's all I use and have never had a cooling or corrosion problem.....Bob

Wayne

I put my presser tester on it for 3 hours. checked hoses, clamps. No leaks. I'm sure it's coming from the bottom weep hole. The puddle is always right under the balancer. Iv'e never had one that will leak and quit and leak again like that. I was just wondering if anyone else has had this happen?

Tom

Bob

I never leave it around so the pets can get to it. Didn't they quit making the stuff that was bad for animals?

Anyway, I'm the one that sticks his finger in the puddle and tastes it to see if it is antifreeze! Dosen't harm human kidneys, just there brains! It makes you want more cars to spend your life savings on and make your wife say "If you drag home one more pile of junk, you can sleep in it". I fooled her! I got a port-a-potty, George Forman grill, cooler for the beer, a bag of chips and a sleeping bag in the shop!!!!!

Tom

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I got a port-a-potty, George Forman grill, cooler for the beer, a bag of chips and a sleeping bag in the shop!!!!!

</div></div>

Yeah man!

Some brands have a "bittering agent" added to make it taste bad. I'm not sure if they all do though.......Bob

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Badger Guy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wayne

I put my presser tester on it for 3 hours. checked hoses, clamps. No leaks. I'm sure it's coming from the bottom weep hole. The puddle is always right under the balancer. Iv'e never had one that will leak and quit and leak again like that. I was just wondering if anyone else has had this happen?

Tom </div></div>

Have you checked the freeze plugs? Antifreeze (and oil for that matter) can find funny leak paths that end up far from their source.

Badger Guy,

It is very common to see trucks with silicone radiator hoses leak antifreze over night when the weather changes.

Tighting the hoses does no good at all

The mechanics have learned to let them leak.

Badger, I had this happen on a pump and a radiator, not from the same car either! When ya change out the pump but a can of lube in the radiator, my old boss swore on that stuff. Keeps the pump bearings lubed, and its made specifically for water pumps.

Make sure your timing cover isn't pitted where the water pump seals to it. We just had this same thing happen on a 77 403 powered Buick wagon- on a trip, 6 hours from home naturally. Can't see any sign of leakage around the weep holes, but there's a clean streak on the timing cover where coolant has leaked out and down onto the ground. We put Bars Leaks in to try to get home and it appears to have sealed it for time being- never saw anymore leakage.

And yes, I've seen those Olds timing covers rust through behind the water pump and cause all kinds of mayhem.

On a not completely unrelated subject, I have had minor oil drips mysteriously stop, though not begin again.