Backspacing?

Guest spyhunter2k

Guest spyhunter2k

Does anyone know the maximum backspacing required for our wheels in order not to interfere with the suspension components? I do know the factory backspacing of the 15 X 6 wheels themselves, 5.5". What I need to know is how much FURTHER a wheel can protrude INWARD before interfering with the suspension components.

I am looking to buy some new wheels but am not sure that there will be enough room between the inside flange of the new (and wider) wheels and the suspension. When I put my fingers back there it feels like there is maybe only a half-inch or so of clearance as is.

I know that Philip put 17 X 8s on his and had no clearance issues on the inside, but I think most of the 2" in increased width went to the outside, as the 94-04 Mustang 17 X 8 wheels have a lower offset than ours. He mentioned and you can see in the pics he posted at the time that they protrude just a bit from the wheel wells.

The wheels I am looking at are available in 17 X 7.5 and 18 X 8 sizes, and I would prefer the 18" ones, but I want the magic combination of no protrusion outward past the fenders AND no clearance problems on the inside.

If I need to I'll remove my wheel and attempt to measure this and/or order one 18" wheel to test clearance after mounting, but it would be nice if someone had the measurement handy...

Thanks!

Seth

Guest Stormin

Help me out here guys....I can't put the link in here to the recent thread about 17-18s. Seth...if you do a search for my name (stormin )you will find a couple links to "wheel choices". I believe the info you need might be in there.Norm

Guest Greg Ross

Seth,

As I recall you also have fairly close tolerance between tire and the spring perch on the front strut. Proving a rim will clear the suspension is only part the way there. Tire width and height will also come into play.

Guest spyhunter2k

Stormin,

From looking at your post, I see that you are running 18 x 8's with a 42mm offset. This is exactly the same specs for the 18" wheels I am looking at, so if you have no interference issues, I think that I won't either.

One possible problem is if the flanges of the aftermarket wheels that I'm looking at are wider on the aftermarket rims than yours. Does anyone know if the added width caused by the flanges is a standard/consistent amount among different wheels?

The only other problem that I can think of is outward protrusion. From the pics of your car, it looks like the wheels are pushed to the very edge of the fenders. Do they protrude past the fenders at all?

When comparing wheels, you must consider several things.

In this case "backspacing" (the distance from the mounting surface to the back of the rim) and "offset" (the distance from the mounting surface to the centerline of the wheel)are important.

I have attached my sketches of the 15" and 16" Reatta wheel.

You will note they have different backspacing and offsets.

"Backspacing" is what you need to consider for clearance on the backside of the rim...you will note the 16" is 1/4 inch deeper or closer to things in the back of the wheel opening than the 15" rim.

There are lots of details when talking about rims and there is not enough room to go over them here.... if someone find a good link, post it for all to learn more about rims and front end geometry.

post-30596-14313798888_thumb.jpg

Guest Stormin

The fronts are 8 inches wide with 42mm spacing and the rears are 8 1/2 with 37mm spacing. That rear spacing is also why the rears appear the way they do. They do not protrude past the fenders , front or rear. I think they fit very well, but that's just my opinion. If you're going to run the 18's your front tires need to be the same height as your originals. You have a few options but the shorter your sidewall, the harsher your ride. That's how I ended up with 45 series tires. Let me know if I can be of any further help...Norm