Buick Nationals in Flint

Booreatta

Well I got my 84 convertible home today and I am going to need a few parts. The car is in great shape but I want to meet some one in Flint that has all of the right parts. Some of the item that will need to be repaired is the switch for the remote mirrors in the center of the dash, the metal seat trim bottom on the drivers seat, and a steering wheel part a plastic ring on the sport wheel,it is cracked at the screws. Is there anyone out there that has parts cars like the Reatta guys. After driving a Reatta for the last 6 years the Riviera is really a big car but very cool

Thanks for the help and I will be joining the Riv Club tonight

Thanks

C Kerls

Wichita Kansas

C,

The sport wheel piece is the same on a Regal and those are being reproduced, check with a site like www.turboregal.com There are a couple of guys who have Riviera parts, you'll get their info on the ROA website and in the Riview. Welcome aboard.

Dave,

Be nice or we will check YOUR background! Reatta's are OK but Riviera's are for peolple who have friends! LOL!! (I think)

Tim McCluskey

ROA 9686

Dave wow your cuttin to the quick.....hey I still have the Reatta and the red convertible aint going anywhere I have had a great offer on the Blue coupe and I will probably take it only for the need of room. The Riv is going to be a great car and the grandkids can go with us some time, so I had to make a switch. I can tell ya if the Riviera is half the car as the Reatta it will be great. Hopefully when I get the chance to see other Rivs I can get this back to perfection. Oh by the way I joined the Riv club already...........Now who is going to Flint

Forget about Flint, you need to be thinking about going to Galena if you want to see some Rivieras. There will be enough covertibles there that they require a class of their own for judging. There will also be vendors there who specialize in Rivieras.

I'm at a loss as to what you're refering to as the "switch for the remote mirrors in the middle of the dash" If the mirrors are electric, the switch for both left and right mirrors is on the arm rest of the driver's door. The only thing that would effect a mirror from the center of the dash would be the knob for the cable that would control the manual passenger door mirror.

Is the metal trim on the driver's seat missing or bent and cracked? Bent and cracked is SOP for that piece. If you find a good one, you'll be really lucky. One of the best fixes is to straighten it the best you can then put a steel rod inside that section that gets bent. Luckily the seat belt covers some of that mess. Don't be surprised if when you remove the stainless piece that you find the plastic reinforcement behind the screw hole has broken off. cry.gif Gorilla glue will work to reattach them.

The horn caps to which you're refering can be found on ebay quite often. They all interchange, just repaint to the color you need and swap out the emblems. Only two of the hex head screws come out, the rest are fakes.

Ed

I wish that I could make it to Galena but it is just not possible this year. Prior stuff makes it impossible. I will take another look what I thought was a switch. It might be the cable, all I know so far is the small knob is in the ashtray.

Thanks

The other possibility is that it is the rear window defroster switch. It's on the right side of the radio, the mirror control would be on the left side. Again, that's another thing that's SOP on these Rivs - busted off. The swtich still works, but it's a bear to flip it. It's a long fluted knob that has an amber lens in the center of it. Look at your driver's side door panel and see if there's not a mirror switch on it. Once you get a chance to look it over more carefully, send some pictures.

Ed

Tim,

That's why I bought a Reatta! [To drive 1 friend at a time]I didn't want to have todecide who is the more valuable friend to sit in the front seat. BTW you need to know that the 3rd car I ever owned was an elCamino, so I am used to the 2 seater concept.

I have always liked Rivs and one day was hoping to own one, but then I discovered Reattas. I do have Riv parts in my car. Does that qualify as a hybrid and allow me to look in at your forum?

BTW I was out to my favorite u-pick yard and looked at the '79 that was there. Still a beautiful car, cream yellow ext./tan brushed cloth int. Has 3 wire wheel covers.

The silver bar on the bottom of the drivers seat is broken.

As is the defroster switch. The mirror control is still good however.

Anybody need items canabalized off it?

Hi Ed the part I am refering to is a small knob on the right side of the climate control. It is a small silver knob. My car has the mirror controls on the arm rest and they do work the mirrors. I am wondering if the knob is just a dummy? what holds it on. I removed the center dash part and there is just a 3/4 inch hole. The on off switch on the air duct also does not work, Is that common and are parts available. Thanks for all of your help Ps the rear window heater seems to work fine

Chuck Kerls

The louvered units can be replace. The entire unit is plastic and the pivots are easily broken off if you're not careful taking them in and out.

I'm going to have to see a picture of what you're talking about to give you any ideas. There are no "fake" knobs on the Riv dash boards.

Ed

• 3 weeks later...