Sign in to follow this  
AJ Anderson

What's it worth - 1983 Fleetwood

Hi all!

My grandmother wants to sell her 1983 Fleetwood. It has fewer than 100,000 miles (probably fewer than 75,000 but I don't want to exaggerate and I'm not 100% sure). I am sure that it is in amazing condition. This is no exaggeration. For twenty-five years whenever we have sat in this car, we have sat on towels that cover the silver gray leather seats. I do recall that it has a small cigarette hole in one of the seats. My grandfather, who smoked, burnt a hole in it before he died nineteen years ago. She babies this car; it sits in her garage on carpet: She once had to replace the tires because they dry-rotted. This car is in such good shape that it still has its original floor mats.

She does take it out on the highway about once a month to 'blow it out'. She wants to sell it and I would like to help her. However, we live all over the place. I'm in school in DC, my mom is in CT, my brother is in CA and my grandmother is in the midwest. What is a reasonable price that she can expect for this car and what is the best way to sell it?

Thank you in advance for any help and advice you can offer.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AJ Anderson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hi all!

My grandmother wants to sell her 1983 Fleetwood. It has fewer than 100,000 miles (probably fewer than 75,000 but I don't want to exaggerate and I'm not 100% sure). I am sure that it is in amazing condition. This is no exaggeration. For twenty-five years whenever we have sat in this car, we have sat on towels that cover the silver gray leather seats. I do recall that it has a small cigarette hole in one of the seats. My grandfather, who smoked, burnt a hole in it before he died nineteen years ago. She babies this car; it sits in her garage on carpet: She once had to replace the tires because they dry-rotted. This car is in such good shape that it still has its original floor mats.

She does take it out on the highway about once a month to 'blow it out'. She wants to sell it and I would like to help her. However, we live all over the place. I'm in school in DC, my mom is in CT, my brother is in CA and my grandmother is in the midwest. What is a reasonable price that she can expect for this car and what is the best way to sell it?

Thank you in advance for any help and advice you can offer.

</div></div>

Need more info than provided. Unfortunately, this is probably not a high demand car and therefore not worth very much. I suggest a used car dealer or newspaper.

http://www.nadaguides.com/default.aspx?L...;y=1983&da1

As mentioned it isn't a high value collector-sought vehicle but there is a market for people who want well-kept lightly used luxury cars. It would be nice to word and ad directed to someone that doesn't just want a 2 car as a beater.

An astute kid would appreciate it though more would go for performance cars- It's a big safe car as a kid's 1st car- I wouldda bought this for my oldest daughter's 1st car.

Somebody will appreciate this car for what it is but it is hard to find that person.

You do not state what model it is so I assume it is a Fleetwood Brougham 4 door sedan.

According to the Old Car Price Guide one of those in #2 condition (Fine: an EXTREMELY well maintained original showing very minimal wear) is worth $4480.

The book prices tend to be a little on the high side, good for insurance or appraisal value but tough for a private seller to get that much.

To me that is a beautiful and desirable car,but not quite old enough or rare enough to be a real collector's item yet.

1. Four-door sedans are usually worth far, far less than the book values.

2. Cigarette burn, smokers car and nearly 100,000 miles? It is just another used car, not a collector car.

3. Noticed the price of gas lately?

4. A #2 car looks almost like a museum-quality show car to the untrained observer. At best, your car is a #3.

5. If it is a carbureted car, it will get 15-16 MPG on the highway at best. If it is a V8-6-4 car, it is lucky to be running.

Bottom line: Advertise it for 30 days for $3,000 OBO. If no one bites, drop the price to $1,500 and take whatever money someone offers you and move on.

here is the NADA listing:

Original MSRP: $19,182

Low Retail Average Retail Value High Retail

Base Price $1,550 $3,250 $4,550

I would ask $3850 for it and go from there (assuming the inside does not smell like a dingy bar from all the cigarette smoke residue)

Seems odd you would have to sit on towels yet gramps puffed away and even burned a hole in the seat ...