Selling a Reatta long distance

Barney Eaton

In one of the discussions below, someone is trying to sell his Reatta. Most of us here know the questions to ask, but if you are selling a Reatta, your buyer will probably not be in your town. You need to have a method of transmitting the information about the car so the potential buyer will be able to evaluate the car and see the condition.<P>I strongly recommend you make a video and have it available on standard VHS format so it can be sent and viewed by potential buyers.<P>In 10-15 minutes you can show the outside, inside, trunk, engine compartment and maybe even some shots under the car. Show as much detail as possible...don't try and hide something that they would immediately see if they showed-up at your house to drive the car. Be honest and open.<P>If the Reatta is as good as you believe it is and you set a fair and reasonable price, both you and the buyer will be happy with the transaction.

I just sold my 91 Reatta Coupe to a very nice guy in Michigan. It was a long process, but we finally got it done and the car now has a new home and I believe a very good home. <P>I took a lot of digital pictures of the car and sent them on to him via the internet and then I did exactly what Barney said, I made a DV Video of it and sent it out to him so he could see the car in all its splendor and even some of it's shortcomings. <P>The man I sold it to had Elite Transport of Oklahoma pick up the car and I was really impressed with the way they took care of the car and documented every nick or scratch on or in the car. I am sure it was not inexpensive to take the car back, but it was a covered or enclosed transport and carried only 3 cars. I believe it took 3 or 4 days from Southern California to Michigan. <P>As my wife cryed with the Reatta leaving it was sad to see such a unique car go away. I owned it since it was new and babied it. Parts are hard to find and living in So. Cal you just have too many chances of getting bashed by another driver. I can tell you one thing....I sold it for a 2002 T-Bird, Fully loaded, Inspiration Yellow with special interior of Yellow and Dark Gray. I actually sat in the new bird the past weekend and it has nothing over the Reatta. When you look at the Reatta design it is really special and the T-Bird is somewhat retro, but not really as special as the Reatta....I too am going to miss the Reatta. If only the city of Glendale would approve me having a 5 car garage on a standard lot then I could have more toys, but that is not going to happen in my life and I can't move to a place with a 5 car garage because the price of houses down here is too extreme. <P>This forum is really a great place to get very valuable information on this very uniqe car. If anyone is looking for an 89 with 47,000+ miles and in excellent shape...send me a message and I will respond and let you know where this beast is. It too is a one owner car and never seen the snow. My email address is raybarp@earthlink.net. <P>Regards,