1985 riviera convertible

ken_westhaver

Hi, Newbie here, in more ways than one. I jumped into a 1985 convertible last week feet first. Long story short I am on a big learning curve and now have some questions. 1.) OIl/ choke light comes on after warm up and low rpm (didn't happen when I was test driving the car) Checked oil pressure at idle somewhat warm = 25#, replaced switch- same condition. No engine noise. 2.) although everything looks new the ass is sagging. Put air in shocks, next day ass is down again. 3.) passenger side quarter window. does go up and down, but seems like it is not actually attached to anything. Does that make sense? Anyway, those are the big three, the top of the rear glass has seperated from the vinyl, but I assume that has to be remedied by the top guy. Thanks for any help and for putting up with the questions (more to come I am sure). Ken

Ken, I'd have to check my service manual but the oil/choke light on the 84/85 Riv's was actually only for the oil and had nothing to do with the choke. Mine got where it wouldn't come on at all, changed the sending unit and it went back to working. I have had the engine almost die and the light would come on momentarily then go off. Sounds like your car is idling too low. If your oil pressure's good that's about all that could be making it do that unless the light is getting grounded somewhere...

On #2 you have an air leak somewhere in your ELC system. Easy to fix and you'll want to fix it so you don't drag bottom. One other possibility your height sensor might need to be adjusted. Do you have a service manual yet?

Don't know anything about the convertibles...

Ken,

To add to what Jayson said, the ELC system will drain your battery if there's a leak in it. It runs off a BAT wire (hot all the time) and if your shocks lose air during the night, the ELC will turn on and pump it up again. If this continues to cycle, it will eventually run your battery down.

The rear window in your convertible is attached to a channel at the base of the opening (floorboard inside the body panel.) I wouldn't touch mine with a ten foot pole. I took it to a professional glass shop and the tech used a lot of tape to secure the sockets, and extensions together. If you drop one inside that panel, it will be a real task to get it back out.

Ed

• 2 weeks later...

The rear window assembly can be removed as one entire unit. You'll need some very long extensions for your ratchet, and a very good work light. Also, get one of those small magnets to hold the nut once you get it loose. Been a few years since I did this, but I think they are 10MM nuts.

Once out, you can replace that plastic window track very easily. The track is available from nearly any parts store. It is the same plastic 'ladder'style track used on a lot of Chryslers.

As for the low oil pressure, it sounds as if either one of the main bearing caps is worn and loosing pressure at low idle. Check the factory idle settings, and if it is correct, go up one grade of oil. Do NOT use STP or any of that miracle-in-a-can crap; it will gum up your engine.

Others are right about the shocks leaking down. A solution of soapy water in a spray bottle will help you find the leak. Spray the solution once the shocks are pumped up and you'll find your leak. If it is at one of the connections, that is easily fixed.

Good luck; those are VERY good looking Rivs!

Joe