Storage Questions...

Roadster90

A little off topic in one respect (make of car), but may benefit some.

Earlier this year the Fiancees son got the 66 Mustang which the forum helped in the decision to buy it...thanks again.

Now the son will be off to Annapolis for "Plebe Summer" beginning the 6th of July, and then his 1st year at the Academy....the car may not be used for possibly a year.

Question/s:

His mom will NOT give up her one car garage for the Mustang, and there are no other provisions except parking the car outside on the ground. May we have some ground storage suggestions please....I know that a good Noaa Cover from Barney is the 1st step. Wondering about ground storage....would graveling an area and possibly laying down a plastic taurp be advantageous?

Thanks,

Nic

There are lots of storage things that are "ideal" but not everyone can do them where they live.

I will start and let others add their ideas and comments.

* Change the oil and make sure the gas tank in full or completely empty.

* Jack up the car and put it on jackstands or cement blocks etc.

* Remove the wheels and tires and put them inside out of the sun.

* Put rat poison inside the car and in the engine compartment.

Although I sell car covers, they are not intended for extended storage outside. If you use a car cover it should be removed every month and the car/finish should be inspected. Depending on where you live (and the Norfolk area is hard on covers) acid rain and industrial fallout can work it way between the cover and the car finish. With moisture, sun, heat etc these things can damage the finish.

I would recommend making a pipe frame out of PVC pipe 1" minimun, and then covering the frame with a tarp. This keeps the protective cover off the car/finish. If you can do that in your neighborhood, that is the best solution short of renting storage.

I would rent a storage unit and expect the son to pay for it. It is his car and this is another step toward manhood and growing into responsibility. If he does nothing, you do nothing. His own mother pretty much said the same thing by not wanting to give up her garage.

Nic I totally agree here, have him rent a storage unit if he wants to keep the car. I made a promise to my son to keep the car, so he pays the storage. I check on it from time to time while he is away but he pays the bill. and I made him pay it for the year. It is really the only way to store a car for a long period.

Guest Tammy

Nic I have to agree with Dave. Knowing you, you have gone through every option.( and I know he is a great kid) But having it in a secure place away from all the elements is HUGE! When we moved I put the reatta in storage. Best $50 a month spent. I didn't have to worry about a thing. Having it covered in Mom's driveway, may just invite someone to do the unthinkable. cry.gif Are there any relatives with a spare corner in their garage?