Should I buy?

alesco

I've located a 91 Reatta convertible and I'd like to know if I should buy it and at what price. I have to travel a considerable distance to see the car, so the information I give you is supplied by the current owner. Since this car is from the north, it had developed rust, but the current owner restored the car, making it look pretty close to new. He says the previous owner told him it was a program car for executives at Ford, but I'm pretty sure this can't be verified. The car supposedly looks and runs great, but the previous owner had replaced the dashboard or some parts in it so there is no way to know how many miles are on the engine. The vin is 1G4EC33LXMB900530. Would getting one of those Carfax reports help in determining the mileage? I'm not listing the price because I want to get a feel of what you think it might be worth. Thanks.

Guest Ranger

Frank,<BR>I really don't have a clue as to where the Reattas were prone to rust. That aside, I've lived all of my life (so far) in Minnesota, you're in Illinois, both are rust belt areas. Since buying two convertibles in Arizona with no rust, I wouldn't touch a northern car again. I've restored cars with "small patches of surface rust" only to fix more rust areas a few years later. It's up to you and the real experts on this site.<P>Jim

Frank, I don't know the car but so far as miles on it the main computer stores the data and the dash only reflects that data.<BR>I had a chance to buy a low mileage Select 60 convertable for a cheap price, I did not.<BR>I regret not getting the money together to buy it. You can check with Barney Eaton to see if he has any data on this car. I've seen them go for $15 to + $25 in the online car ads.<p>[ 07-23-2002: Message edited by: Don B. ]

I know this response is not going to be very technical, but: 1)A car that has very high mileage and had the engine replaced, 2) already has had rust repaired, 3) was said to be for Ford executives (a Buick?), and 4) may not be displaying the correct mileage.<BR>All these things would give me an uncomfortable feeling if I was looking to buy it, any others feel that way? I would say Carfax report as a minimum.

Guest Tonivisa

If this os the car that the man claims is restored,and the dash was replaced,I would be scared. I asked what does the mileage read and he said 352K. BEWARE

The odo reading is stored in an EEProm in the BCM. If someone has swapped PROMs, the vin display will not match the physical numbers on the car. (OTOH if it says 352K miles now, that is probably the same one as before).