65 gs for sale

rivstg1

Looks like a nice restoration. I've got a couple of comments. These cars can have 100K on them and you'd never now it by looking at the odometer. Why didn't they install new carpeting during the restoration (what's hiding beneath that monsterous floor mat?) To be really top notch, the trunk also should have had the liner replaced. The cap on the rally wheel for the spare is not correct for a Riviera; do the orginal rally wheels come with it? I wonder what it sounds like with those Flowmasters right at the end of the exhaust system. Decoding the body plate:

2K - Air conditioning, 2R - Remote mirror, 4F - Rear Speaker, 5W - seat belts w/ retractors.

As alwasy - caveat emptor

Ed

I would ask specifically if the engine serial number matches the Body VIN. A car of this stature should clearly state the engine serial number matches. It says LX coded engine and uses the term original but don't specifically say or show the engine serial number. For having so many pictures, its odd they didn't include one of the engine serial number which is crucial if I was buying. It probably does match because it says original but I would want to verify it considering what this car may go for. You can't assume anything.

Based on the type of seller, I'd expect it won't meet the reserve. Its a nice solid straight car. I'm not a 65 guy but when it comes to a 65 GS, the standard interior wouldn't deter me as it would with any other year GS. I like how straight and unmolested it appears.

If you are serious about this car you must go look at it or have a qualified person look at it for you. When buying any car that looks this straight for what will be a high dollar amount you've got to make sure it has not been rebodied. Maybe less than 10% chance but not a 10% I'd risk. If I was buying form a long time private seller I wouldn't be so concerned but thats not the case here.

I'd guess the reserve is at least $30k..... but thats just a guess. Again I'm not a 65 guy. You can most always get more car for the money buying from a private owner outside of ebay. Bidding that much money on an ebay car would make blood shoot from eyes

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JZRIV</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would ask specifically if the engine serial number matches the Body VIN. A car of this stature should clearly state the engine serial number matches. It says LX coded engine and uses the term original but don't specifically say or show the engine serial number. For having so many pictures, its odd they didn't include one of the engine serial number which is crucial if I was buying. It probably does match because it says original but I would want to verify it considering what this car may go for. You can't assume anything.</div></div>

Listing text says "numbers matching" and then they show pictures of the VIN on the stainless plate, on the title, and on the engine block. They also show the LX code on the engine block.

This does not guarantee that this is an original GS. There are other things that need to be checked.

I do not like how the color of the glove compartment door (with GS badging) seems to not match the color of the surrounding black pebble vinyl. It looks odd.

I'm surprised no mention if it has limited slip differential.

I don't know much about the '65s, much less the GS variant. Anyone seriously interested should invest in an inspection by a qualified '65 GS expert.

Guest musclecarfan65

there is a very good and detailed article posted on the riv-owners homepage. if anyone is really interested in buying a '65 GS she/he should read this and print it before buying a car on ebay or somewhere else. i personally do not like to the "standard" interior, the different wheels and the lack of the lower ribbed aluminum panels ... they give the rivi such a sporty look!.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jim_Cannon.[/quote</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Listing text says "numbers matching" and then they show pictures of the VIN on the stainless plate, on the title, and on the engine block. They also show the LX code on the engine block.

</div></div>

Checked again and the pics of engine serial # came up. Apparently some pics at the bottom didn't load when I looked at it the first time. From the pics and description it this looks like a very nice example. Not completely authentic but easily made that way if a buyer wishes to do so. The important stuff appears to be in place. I actually like the fact that some areas have not been restored to give a glimpse of what it was like before the work that was done. Will be interesting to see if the reserve reflects that work not being done. I also love the color.

As Jim mentioned I'd want a 65GS expert to check it out or at least tell you what questions to ask the seller.

Pretty nice car...just a few comments..the carpet has been replaced and is incorrect. Compare the carpet on the lower door panels (which is original) to the carpet covering the floor. The correct material and color is available. On such a nice car why get cheap on the carpeting? For an extra $100??

I like the original trunk trim. It`s a little ratty but tells me the car has been well kept, probably garaged for the most part. They`re only original once and it is VERY HARD to find even a well kept original car with a trunk in pristine condition. Even under ideal circumstances the body sealer bleeds thru the material.

The spare is original. The car originally had the standard GS hubcaps or wire wheel covers....probably the standard hubcaps given the few options. The chrome road wheel pictured is not a `65 vintage wheel and. of course. the cap is all wrong.

In one of the pics of the undercarriage it appears someone has "plated" one of the floor braces. I would need to peer under one of my `65`s to be sure the camera angle is not something I am unaccustomed to viewing but I`m fairly sure there is some undercarriage/floor repair.

All things considered, this is a very nice car. well detailed and will probably sell for a bargain compared to other GS sales.Put a white custom interior and rocker panel mouldings on this Lady and she would be stunning!

Tom Mooney