Fuel coming out of filler neck when opening cap

GuitarVince

Hello everyone,

I just bought an '89 with 47K miles on it. I got it home (trailered, as you suggested), and I love it!

Everything seems to work great, but I have not done the brake test yet. I said in a previos question, the fuel gauge reads extremely low, but my brother in law couldn't get gas into it with a can. After I got it home, and cleaned it, I opened the gas cap, and fuel came out of the neck. It did it twice, and since it was in the garage, I didn't want to let it run out, and put the cap back on it. Anyone heard of this before? I can't tell if it is under pressure, but something is certainly wrong. Any help would be great.

Something is wrong.

Besides the filler and its vent, there are three lines going into the top of the tank.

One is connected to the fuel pump and that line sends fuel to the engine.

One is a return line for unused fuel to return to the tank.

The last one is a vent and allows air/fumes to exit the tank. The other end of that line goes to the vapor canister, which is located in the left front of the engine compartment, under the air cleaner.

There are several possibilities. (1) The previous owner or his mechanic plugged the vent line because they didn't know what it was. (2) the vent line could be plugged inside the canister. (3) the vent line from the canister to the engine could be plugged. (4) worst case, the vent line could be plugged inside the gas tank, that would mean you would need to drop the tank.....all the other possibilities are pretty easy to check.

The attached photo shows the lines coming out of the top of the gas tank.

post-30596-143137986484_thumb.jpg

Guest tomt

I've always heard that the canister can be damaged due to topping off the tank. The result is that you can't fill it up. Is that an "old wives tale" or truth?

Thanks guys,

I think the guage may be stuck, and the tank is over full, as it is much warmer now then when my brother in law poured the gas into the tank. I am going to run the tank dry, drop it and see if the float is stuck, or not functioning. Any suggestions on a replacement pump? Thanks.

Guest Greg Ross

I would suggest if you ask at the Parts Store, Napa or whoever who manufactures their fuel pumps...

I have a "Carter" pump from Napa (Carter I would be virtually certain would be the OEM maker for Delco, or at least one of them)

THe Carter fuel pump is quiet and reliable, it's been in there for about 4 years now.

You'll have to drop the tank anyway buy before you pull the guts out, clean the electrical plug-in terminals and try that first before dis-assembly.