16V Turbo lost acceleration

I got my 16V out of storage last week drove it over 300 miles and everything was great. I had great acceleration and performance, as I put a new upgraded BOV and stage 2 computer from RDI performance in last year. Today I drove my car and it feels like the Turbo is not doing anything at all. There seems to be no point where the turbo kicks in and acceleration is about 50% of what it was. It feels like driving a 2.2 Stick shift, not a turbo 16V. Everything appears OK, and I am not sure where to start trouble shooting. This is my first turbo engine so any guidance/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Tom Stroud

1989 16V

Tom, Your wastegate may be stuck and not allowing the turbo to spool up. The wastegate solenoid could also be at fault. The SMEC adjust the boost but the solenoid may be bad. I hope that someone else may be of more help than myself,Good luck.

Can you lay your hands on a vacuum/boost gauge? Even a stock gauge from any turbo Mopar that came so equiped. You need to check for how much vacuum you have at idle, it should be at least 12" If you are not getting that much vacuum the two most likely causes are a plugged Catlytic convertor or you cam belt 'jumped time' (is that an original worn out belt with some loose teeth maybe, hmmm, thought about a spare ;))

Also, when you drive it, does it actually feel like it runs stronger at 1/3 or 1/2 throttle than it does at full mash? Plugged cat.

Any white smoke at idle after a spirited romp thru the gears a few times? Bad turbo.

Is it a miss that seems to come and go? Iginition troubles.

It could be a bunch of things... Try the gauge and be as specific`/descriptive as possible when describing the symptoms. I'm listening smile.gif...

Alan

Whoa, just reread your post. Storage eh? Any rodents in your garage? They love to make a cozy little nest in your airbox, pull off the accordian hose and loosen the four metal clips and have apeek inside. I've seen an airbox so full of nesting material no air could get in...

Alan

Alan,

I drove the car again and it seemed to me that I was getting some "ODD" noise from the exhaust and the turbo came on about 1/2 throttle in 3rd gear a couple of times. It almost sounded plugged, and then wouldsond ok when the turbo was on.

The funny thing is is that I am used to removing catalytic converters not replaceing them. This is the first car I own newer then 1969! I believe I will change the catalytic converter and I also need a new muffler. Any specific reccomendations for better performance? The last I bought was headers and glass packs for my 65 mustang!

Thanks for the advice, I think I will get it replace early next week. The weather is just getting nice in Miichingan for Top down driving.

Tom Stroud

1989 16V TC

1965 Mustang GT

1969 Lincoln Continental

Don't get the idea that I am saying a Cat is neccessary to the function of your car, it's not. TC's are OBD I cars, that is computer controlled with a memory for stored trouble codes. OBD II cars have a feedback system that requires a second 02 sensor after the Cat, eliminating it throws a trouble code- or worse eek.gif The TC's actually run STRONGER without the restriction of the cat in the exhaust system, let your conscience(and the local emissions testing laws) be your guide wink.gif Don't get the idea that I am telling you to run WITHOUT a cat with just a STRAIT PIPE there because your car would RUN BETTER and probably get BETTER MILEAGE as well. Where I live the laws prohibit me from running without a cat, so even if my cat were HOLLOWED out on the inside, it would APPEAR that I still have one whistle.gif. Hypothetically speaking of course wink.gif

ALan

I drove it again today and it seems to be even worse then yesterday. I think I will get the Cat removed or hollowed. I dont think any shops are open on Sunday or I would be getting it done. I was going to Drive it to a car show today, but that is the way it goes.

In regards to the Timing belt, I replace all belts and seals three years ago when I bought the car. I leaked oil everywhere as it sat for 5 years. I just installed my brand new in mopar packaging upper timing belt cover I bought on ebay this winter. You do not have, or know were to purchase the correct spark plug wire holders/seperators that mount to the valve cover.

Thanks,

Tom

Well it was raining when I got it fixed and I had to break my rule of no driving it the rain to find out. I could not keep and traction so I went through the gears with the tire spinning. It kind of ran rough at first, it must have been running rich, then cleared right up. Today the pavement is dry and I am leaving to take it out. Rick Diogo is putting together a stainless Steel completed bolt on kit for the car. I think this might be in the future. He also has new turbos.

Thanks again everyone for the Help,

Tom

It is off to the exhaust shop tomorrow to get the temporary trouble shooting flex exhaust replaced with a straight pipe. Then it might be time for that turbo upgrade and stainless exhaust system.

By the way, my posting name tcstroud is my first two initials and last name, Thomas Clinton Stroud, which just happens to be TC!! Isn't that ironic!! I just realized the connection tonight while writing this post.

See you on the road!

Tom