1946 CADILLAC SERIES 62 CONVERTIBLE

Guest Dan Wanstrath

Guest Dan Wanstrath

I just bought a 1946 Cadillac 62 Convertible. It is an interesting car in that it has the minor trim changes of a '47 but all the numbers are matching for '46. Did cadillac have any mid-year changes in '46 convertibles to the new '47 styling?

Thanks,

Dan

Guest Dan Wanstrath

If anyone can decode the trim & paint numbers here is the body by fisher tag numbers:

Style: 46-6267

Body #: FW 134

Trim: 54B

Paint: 5MK

Top: 1

Thanks,

Dan

Guest Dan Wanstrath

The chassis id is 8409522. That number is the middle of the series 62 id range for 1946. (8400001 - 8418566)

• 5 weeks later...
Guest Dan Wanstrath

Here is a photo of the car. I could really use some help with figuring out whether this is an actual 1946 body.

Wanstrath_46_Cadillac_04_large.jpg

Guest AntarcticDave

It also has the 47 cursive script Cadillac on the front fenders vs the block lettering on the 46, and the 47 stainless splash shields on the rear fenders, vs the rubber ones on the 46.

Guest Dan Wanstrath

Sure, I know the grille and other details are the same as '47. I have looked all over the car to see if the front end had different paint colors from the rest of the car or any other indication that it was off another car.

I guess I need to find someone who can positively answer my question.

Of the few convertible cars built in 1946 is there any way that Cadillac would have sold a convertible with the updated styling?

Could the drivetrain and frame been carried over to '47 year?

The 46 in your style number indicates the car to be a 1946 model. Body #134 is early convertible production, but definitely not early '46 Cadillac production. You have stated that the serial number places it in the middle of '46 Cadillac production. That is because immediate post-war production was restricted to sedans. Other body styles were put into production at a later dates.

I couldn't tell the difference between a '46 and a '47, and can't explain why your '46 has '47 production cues.

Paul