Hood and trunk gas cylinders

Bryon

Is there any option to replacing the gas cylinders for the hood and trunk? All are in need of replacement. I use a telescoping paint handle to hold the hood open now. The trunk is smaller and lighter so it is not the problem the hood is. Old spring hood-and trunk- mechanisms worked great and didn't require replacement! If gas cylinders are the only fix, where is a good source? I have a 1990 Driftwood coupe. Thanks!

I don't think getting replacements is a problem except the auto parts stores may not have the Reatta listed.

Take a sample part or maybe someone here already knows what other cars have the same size.

Thanks very much for the info! $37 plus the ship charge is OK. I remembered, I thought, a hundred dollars cost- maybe that was for the Volvo trunk cylinders- which I got rid of! Thanks again!

Guest Reatta1

I had to replace my trunk cylinders about a year or so ago and the parts house had them listed in their book. Also a bunch cheaper than going to the dealer.

Huh? What's a glove box cylinder?

I grab the latches from other Buicks at the local u-pick yard.Then my buddy in about 2 minutes takes out the glove box key cylinders. I keep the latches and paint them when I need them. Then I put back in my original Reatta lock cylinders and I am back in business for low cost.

Guest Kitskaboodle

Always check Rockauto first before ordering anything. They are often cheaper IF you dont need to go AC/Delco.

I replaced all of mine and they were quite inexpensive.

I recall they were a german brand but I dont remember which one. Maybe Sachs or Olins?

Kit 85 & 86 Fiero / 90 Reatta coupe

Sahein came up with a fix for the '88 glove box strut, involved drilling out the cylinder and filling with power steering fluid as I recall then closing the hole with solder.

I never got around to trying it myself though.

Guest Greg Ross

I played with one a bit too, thought by adding a bit of oil it might improve the seal. Very nominal improvement only, maybe the fluid fill is worth a try?

I assume, from reading the above posts, oil is what dampened the cylinder when new. If so and it needs more oil added to make it work again, how did the original oil get away? If it was a bad seal, the seal will still be bad if you add more oil.

Guest Greg Ross

I think they were just pneumatically dampened, air charged only and with age the piston seal has worn/ deteriorated? The porting thru or past the piston whould have done the dampening, I'm pretty sure it's the piston seal that's toast.

Don't really like the idea of spilling a ounce of oil in the glove box. I have to pull my glove box to alter some wiring to trial some new chips from Ryan, I'll have another look while I've got that cylinder out, maybe.