Sign in to follow this  
Steve G.

1955 oldsmobile date tag info

I have a 1955 olds with a data tag on the drivers side door area where it normally would be. How do I decipher the info to make sure it matches the car. The first tow digits are 55 so I assume this is correct for a 55. The last 5 digits are the unit serial number. There are two digits in between, which are a 7 and a L. Anyone know the meaning of these two? Thanks, Steve G.

The 7 is the series, either 88, Super 88 or 98. I don't know which is the 7 - I'm guessing one of the 88s. I think the 98 would be an 8 or a 9. The L is the Lansing assembly plant.

Paul

That info is your Serial Number, the "VIN" of its day, and I assume (and hope) it's the number on your title, as well.

It's not decodable in the sense modern VIN's are, but gives you the year, model, location of manufacture, and the

sequential build number. Based on what you've said, the car's an 88 (7) built in Linden (L), NJ, BOP assembly plant.

55_Olds.jpg

From the <span style="font-style: italic">Red Book, National Market Reports, Official Used Car Valuations.</span>

Regards,

TG

Oops! L isn't for Lansing - M is for Lansing. I should've known better. Sorry. blush.gif