1937 Special rear window shade?

twosfamily

Hello,

I am a newbie in the world of the pre-War Buicks. I know little about the available options of the various models. I have a rear window shade that rolls up and down that is mounted on the rear window sill of my 1937 Special. The car has been sitting in a barn since 1954. Could this be a factory option or just an add-on someone installed over the years? Thank you for your input!

Guest DaveCorbin

Dear Leo:

My 1941 Master Parts book lists in group 15.362, Rear Curtain and Roller Assembly, the following: 1937 - 4075850, and for 1938 - 4084258. Since there is no note indicating that it's optional, it's apparently a factory item. There are different ones for Specials and Centuries than the ones for a Roadmaster or Limited. The fact that the parts book lists them means a dealer could also get the parts. I am also aware that the "standard installation" differed in different parts of the country for some items, so it could also be "standard" in Texas and "optional" in Maine.

Regards, Dave Corbin

Guest ewing

My 38 special 4 dr has a roll up blind in the back window. I bought the car in 1967 and it was in very original condition. My bet would be that it came on the car as original equipment.

I bought a 38 Special Model 41 in 1974 as my first old Buick. Interior was very original and it had a roll up shade. I believe it was a Flint built car. My 28-41 Body Book confirms Dave Corbin's info. We're probably using the same book. Wonder why 37 and 38 differ? Different design or supplier??

Wow, first I've heard of that!

My '38 Special (two door sedan) was rough, but I don't remember seeing any provision for mounting a rear shade. Did I cover something up when I installed my headliner? Did the shade mount below the window, or above? Can anyone post a picture?

Hard to imagine driving with one of these in place - I guess you would use it to block the afternoon sun on a long east-bound drive?? With no side mirror (I added one), that would really limit visibility. Much less traffic back then, I guess.

Jeff

• Like 1

Guest ewing

sorry I don't have a picture, but the roller is mounted on the shelf, behind the seat back, it pulls up and there is a tab on the blind with a grometted hole, that is retained on a stud centred just above the rear window. Hope you can follow that description!

Now we know why they say a picture is worth a thousand words...

Guest ZondaC12

I got that roll-up shade. Day I dragged it out of that garage and had it towed home I checked that out. Tried to pull it up......its wrapped around a wooden dowel or something like a similar shade on a home window, so you can pull on it. I did and the main part of the shade ripped most of the way along the end piece!!!! cry.gif I panicked and let go and it got yanked back and spun a couple times around and I didn't try to get it back out. Obviously it was real brittle or it wouldn't have ripped but it was still terrible. Oh well.