Watson Stabilator lubrication inserts

gundog99

I would be most grateful if any one can help me with the following. The Watson Stabilator should have four lubrication inserts which were changed every 20000 miles.

What were they made of and what did they look like?

There is a book that recommends "Lubricate with Whitmore's Compound NO. 0" What is this compound made of ?

• 9 months later...

I have a Franklin parts manual for series 9-10 somewhere. They used stabilators, I'll see if there is a illustration and scan it for you. I need to replace a bunch of the straps on two of our Franklins, so I should study this anyway. As for the lubricant, Whitmore's is still around. I don't see any Compound No. 0 on their web site, but maybe if you contact them, they can help. I know it says on the body of the Stabilator to use no grease or oil.

http://www.whitmores.com/index.htm

• 1 month later...

MY NAME IS Roy Smith I am also looking for a manual as I have 1929 Dodge Brothers Coupe which just broke a belting. I just order some from Romar, it takes 22 inches for one front, but I am not sure how to load it as it has a spring mechanism. It is a Watson out of PHILA PA. It also says no grease. These are called snubbers or stabilator.

• 5 years later...

Classic and Exotic Service http://www.classicandexotic.com/store/c-216-watson-stabilator.aspx has parts for Watson Stabilators and they sell adjustment wrenches. Unfortunately, they do not sell the lubricating discs. I have not bought anything from them and I cannot comment on their quality or service.

You can download a 1927 Watson manual there which is not specific for any make of car. It has instructions for adjustments. It has instructions for installation. Evidently they expected Stabilators to be installed on cars which did not have them originally.

Frank

"Snubber" is the trade name used by Gabriel for their product and "Stabilator" was the trade name for the product made by Watson. They and their straps are not interchangeable. Stabilators are designed to fit a specific location on the car, left front, right rear, etc., and thus not interchangeable.

Edited by f147pu (see edit history)

• 3 months later...
Classic and Exotic Service http://www.classicandexotic.com/store/c-216-watson-stabilator.aspx has parts for Watson Stabilators and they sell adjustment wrenches. Unfortunately, they do not sell the lubricating discs. I have not bought anything from them and I cannot comment on their quality or service.

I just came across this , and must enthusiastically recommend this fine company . They totally rebuilt my Delco Remy distributor for my 1927 Cadillac to the very highest standards possible . The metallurgy of the replacement parts was superb . As many of us know , originally there was a lot of junk pot metal used in these . Anywhere anything could be improved , these folks figured it out. The distributor came properly set up and curved on the bench , and my old Cad must be about the finest running model 314 around . Very fast service with great personal attention . Don't forget , these distributors were also used on cars such as Stutz and Duesenberg . Demanding owners with deep pockets will accept nothing but the best . This company is that . Price was very acceptable , and solved a problem that could have ended up costing more . ' Nuff said , - C Carl