carter carb idle

arnulfo de l.a.

im having trouble with my car returning to the set idle.it snaps back to normal when i give the pedal a quick jab.other than that the car runs perfect .is this a common problem with these carbs? im going to do a rebuild on the carbs and hope that corrects the problem.

gracias,

arnulfo

1965 rivi gs

original dual quad carter afb

I did notice that the linkage that stops against the idle screw ,where the gas pedal linkage attaches to, does not have a solid attachment to the throttle plate shaft, not brazed on or bonded in any way to the shaft.This seems to be causing alot of slop in that area which along with dirty throttle plates I'm thinking is part of the problem.Are they supposed to be this way so that the shaft can be changed? I have lots of side to side movement there too.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: arnulfo de l.a.</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I did notice that the linkage that stops against the idle screw ,where the gas pedal linkage attaches to, does not have a solid attachment to the throttle plate shaft, not brazed on or bonded in any way to the shaft.This seems to be causing alot of slop in that area which along with dirty throttle plates I'm thinking is part of the problem.Are they supposed to be this way so that the shaft can be changed? I have lots of side to side movement there too. </div></div>

No, that does not sound right. The lever and flat plate on the end of the rod should be pressed on and the rod peened down to be tight. The side to side play should be much less. Sounds like this carb is worn or damaged.

IF you are going to take the little brass screws out of the throttle plate, file the side opposite of the heads down as they are peened over. If you dont, most likely you will break the screws and will have to drill them out. Dont ask me how I know....

Also, there is a difference in carb rebuilding kits amongst the vendors. CARS supplies one that has some parts (no jets or screws) in it but for a full rebuild kit (jets, screws, gaskets, accelerator pump,etc) the Carbutorator shop in Eldon Missouri is the way to go.

Of course you pay a bit more but it is well worth it.